Can anyone help me determine what this is on my betta fish? Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Live2Love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! 2 days ago, I noticed Willard's fins are starting to split, a hole in one of his ventral fins and what looks like the rest of his fins are rotting away. I have him quarantined now while I clean his entire tank, decor and rocks with hot water. Does anyone have any advice? I am assuming it's fin rot? I need treatment options for whatever is going on please!20170821_133948.jpg20170821_133916.jpg20170821_133901.jpg20170821_133742.jpg

The first pic was taken today. The other 2, last week. He's never had such light coloring under his fin. Can anyone help me determine what's going on?

20170821_153352.jpg20170815_104134.jpg20170813_230825.jpg

What size tank and what are the water parameters? Bettas can easily rip/tear their fins and tails, and they usually grow back without much fuss as long as the water is clean. Their colors will also change and get brighter or duller depending on the water conditions and stress and even age. The white stripe doesn't look like fin rot to me, it just looks like a new color pattern, possibly due to stress. Keep your water conditions as perfect as possible and remove anything he can tear his fins on like sharp decorations or driftwood.

I don't notice anything that immediately makes me think fin rot, usually with fin rot the ends of the fins will begin to look black. I will attach a photo of my betta I just got who came to me with fin rot, so you can see. You mentioned the fins appear to be splitting? Is there anything in your tank he could've ripped his fins on?

This is my betta with fin rot, if you look on the tip of his tail you can see the black speck, it sort of looks like it may be part of the rock in the background, but that is actually the end of his tail.

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpg
    IMG_6157.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 115
What size tank and what are the water parameters? Bettas can easily rip/tear their fins and tails, and they usually grow back without much fuss as long as the water is clean. Their colors will also change and get brighter or duller depending on the water conditions and stress and even age. The white stripe doesn't look like fin rot to me, it just looks like a new color pattern, possibly due to stress. Keep your water conditions as perfect as possible and remove anything he can tear his fins on like sharp decorations or driftwood.
Hello...I don't have a test kit, I'm sorry I can't provide you with that info. He could be stressed...I tried adding 2 African dwarf frogs a few days ago, but removed them a day later because he didn't seem to enjoy their presence! And I did add a new plant, which he absolutely loves...I suppose that could cause fin ripping?? I'm worried and unsure what to do...

This is my betta with fin rot, if you look on the tip of his tail you can see the black speck, it sort of looks like it may be part of the rock in the background, but that is actually the end of his tail.
Thanks! No, I don't think isee anything like what you posted. I mean, there appears to be a little black edging, possibly... But it's so hard to tell with everything else going on... The rip and what looks like shortening fins.

Hello...I don't have a test kit, I'm sorry I can't provide you with that info. He could be stressed...I tried adding 2 African dwarf frogs a few days ago, but removed them a day later because he didn't seem to enjoy their presence! And I did add a new plant, which he absolutely loves...I suppose that could cause fin ripping?? I'm worried and unsure what to do...
And I'm sorry, 2.5 gallon filtered, 80° no test kit at the moment for parameters...

He may be a tail biter. I have a male half moon who I thought had fin rot for months, only to find he was just biting his tail. I would keep a close eye on him, and keep up with small 10-20% water changes daily to make sure his water is very clean (do you have a filter?) this is what I do to cure any fin rot with my bettas, and it usually works wonders.

Okay, I see your tank is filtered, that is awesome! The environment he is in sounds perfect for healing any potential fin rot, just keep up with small daily water changes, and I don't think you have anything to worry about. If his fins seem to get worse, I would first make sure he isn't biting his tail, and if you find that he isn't, look into other treatments, I always save medication as a last resort.

Thanks! I didn't even know that tail biting was a thing lol I'll keep my eye on him... Hopefully that's not the case, but if not, the new plant could very well be. At any rate, I'm watching closely!!

And I apologize, yes, the tank has a filter!
Just make sure to keep up with daily water changes, even if he doesn't have fin rot, it still could develop if there are any rips or bites in the tail, but your setup for him sounds pretty perfect. Like I said, I don't think you should worry about him too much, especially if he's still eating and acting like himself. Hope he recovers quickly!

Just make sure to keep up with daily water changes, even if he doesn't have fin rot, it still could develop if there are any rips or bites in the tail, but your setup for him sounds pretty perfect. Like I said, I don't think you should worry about him too much, especially if he's still eating and acting like himself. Hope he recovers quickly!
Great! Thanks for the advice... I'll keep a watchful eye ?

Back
Top Bottom