Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clear slimy stuff killing fish

I bought some used decorations off Craigslist, bringing with them a clear, slimy, substance that looks like clear snot that is taking over my tank and killing my fish. What is it? How do I treat my fish? How do I treat filters, tank, and very nice decorations? Does anyone out there no how to eradicate this slimy hell from my tank?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppygulp View Post
I bought some used decorations off Craigslist, bringing with them a clear, slimy, substance that looks like clear snot that is taking over my tank and killing my fish. What is it? How do I treat my fish? How do I treat filters, tank, and very nice decorations? Does anyone out there no how to eradicate this slimy hell from my tank?
Can you post pics? What symptoms do your fish show? Did the slimy substance only become apparent after being in the tank awhile? It sounds like something out of a horror movie!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

im curious to see a few answers on this. i had a friend who set up 4 tanks and had the same stuff in his . it was in the filters and every thing. eventually killed all his fish. the whole tank was a cloud of white snot looking slime
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My fish have had zero symptoms. In the morning they are incased by the blob. I can't get off a good pic, but it looks just clear snot.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had some success with the jungle fungus tabs, but only if I don't use the same filter or decorations. If I pull all that out the second treatment it seems to work. So how do I treat the decorations, plants, and filter? Just when I think it is gone it re emerges on the plants, decorations and filers. I have been fighting this stuff for a year. I now have four infected filters, tons of infected plants I had to pull out of my tanks and had to buy new filters and throw out the substrate. I got rid of it in four other tanks. What do I clean my stuff with that will kill it?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only thing I can think of is to remove all fish and add bleach to the water and let the tank run for a few days, leaving filters and decorations in.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you bleach your tank with your filters in, all your beneficial bacteria will die and youll have to start your cycle from scratch...you need to test your water. the only times ive seen slime is after a fish dies and sits for a while and starts to decompose, a fungus will form around it. also if you overfeed and it sits at the bottom of the tank it can decompose and cause slime to form on the decorations.
test your water levels, and also do you have good circulation, and are you overfeeding?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is either a couple things- a fungus or an amoeba or algae. Ive heard of a whitish fungus that does this and u have to dry the tank and remkve substrate to get rid of it. And there are clear gelatinous fungi known to be in north america that are usually found above water. If its an algae it would have to have either a green or yellow tint to it. And amoebas- i think thats most likely. Amoebas are tiny microscopic organisms that inhabit water and some kinds even land. They group together and form a slimey substance. In some states, there is a kind that moves by throwing itself around in a gross blob thats actuaoly millions of little amoebas. And if its coating ur fish, probably some free floating ones are gtting on and multiplying and eating it. Or, if you can distinguish individual little creatures with tentacles, thise are hydra. Thats all i can think of.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If this slime is that hard to get rid of bleach may be the easiest way to deal with it. I would much rather recycle a tank and not have to worry about the slime returning and killing my fish or infecting other aquariums.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's some kind of fugal slim. I'm gonna pull the fish out and hospital tank them. And I'm gonna bleach the tank while running every infected filter in it. I can live with recycling the tank again

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com