Cloudy White Patches???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeccaN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I've been anonymously reading through threads on here since before I set up my 20 gal. tank, but I couldn't seem to find the answer to my recent issue.

Here's the back story: About a month ago one of my platys developed a white patch on its head. The tank was still cycling, so despite my frantic internet search on how to fix it, most answers pointed to stress because of water quality. So I made some extra water changes and started using the dip test strips for ammonia in addition to the 5 in 1 nitrate/nitrite/ph/hardness/alkalinity strips i was already using on a nearly constant basis. I also read that some people use a little salt to speed up the healing process. And for about 3 weeks my fish looked like it was on the mend! I was excited. But suddenly he took a turn for the worst and died :( That left one scared platy all alone amongst the other fish in the tank, so since no one else showed symptoms, I left for the store and brought back three young platys to help even out the groups (3 females 1 male for each molly and platy) which I know pushes the limits of my tank (i've been using aqadvisor to watch my stocking levels) ANYWAYS, I get back from the store, get the new fish settled in and notice the betta had a patch now.

Since none of the diseases I looked up sounded right, I went and got LifeGuard from the store, took the carbon out of my filters, and treated for 5 days. Well...the LifeGuard seems like it cured the white patch I was worried about as well as the ones that started cropping up on some of my older fish, but now the water is cloudy, smells strongly, and half of the fish have cloudy white-ish patches on their sides. I've checked all the test strips. The ammonia is a little high (.25ppm), but it tends to be a little high after I do a water change and then goes down over the next few days. and the nitrites are still 0. Nitrate at 20 ppm.

A little extra info. The water here is very hard, ph very alkaline, and I've been adding some aquarium salt to the water whenever I do a water change. It doesn't look like little spots like ich. Nor does it look hairlike. Just like cloudy/shiny (depending on the fish) patches. Nothing on the mouth. No redness of the gills. There is the occasional itchy fish, but not persistent.

Im so confused! Any advice???? (sorry about the long post. I've just noticed a lot of the questions that get asked later on and thought I'd head them off)

EDIT: It's a 20 gallon with 2 Aqueon Quietflow 10 Filters. 4 Mollies (3 female 1 male). 4 Platys (3 female 1 male) (+1 fry). 1 female betta. 2 ghost shrimp. 2 male guppies. been set up 2 months. WAS fully cycled not so sure now after medicating the tank. Most of my fish look adolescent in size. 4 are full grown (betta, 1 platy, 2 molly).

I have platys in the 30g tank and a few of them have white patches on there head and lips and a few have died... Another one of my livebearers also had like fin rot... Aparently it is columnaris a really nasty bacterial infection... Im currently fighting to save my fish.

My suggestion is to lower your temps to around 72f and add 2-3x the recommended dose of aquarium salt.. That is what I read which can help fight off this bacteria. Or you can buy some API triple sulfa.. I used that and it helped BIG time but sadly its expensive $16 a box and for my 30g it lasts only 3-4 days.. I couldn't afford more and now the infection is back..

Does it look like this one your fish ?

Freshwater and Saltwater Diseases - Page 2

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully you get yours all healed up soon :-/ but no. that doesn't look like mine. Mine is a much lighter cloudy color. And mine aren't acting funny. normal appetite. swimming normal. not rapidly, not staying in place. The only ones hiding are the ones who usually hide. It's super weird. I'd almost say they're perfectly healthy if not for the patches...

Though now that I think about it, I thought my fish were fat/pregnant. but maybe they are also bloated??? This symptom is definitely more questionable though

Hm this is going to be hard to diagnose. A picture will be needed for sure for a proper diagnosis to ensure maximum clarity.

I'll do my best to get a pic. My fish are really active. so It's been hard to get one so far. :p
well I guess that's sorta a good thing if they're too active and not sick in a corner!

Back
Top Bottom