clown loaches with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three gouramis, three pineapple swordtails, and two new clown loaches and I noticed this evening that one of the clowns has ich. I know there are a ton of ich questions on here but what else should I do besides raise the temperature of the water.

Well, clown loaches don't have scales, so you want to avoid salt. There's meds for ich, but I've never used them, so you might want to ask someone else.

I'm sure you have read about it already but just in case...

Slowly raise your temp to 86 or so and the ich will go away. Keep the temp up for two days or so after you see the last "speck" I have had ich outbreaks 2 or 3 times and this has worked. I have never used the meds, but they don't work well because they only work during certain parts of the ich's life cycle. If you do use meds make sure to take out your carbon, as it can remove medicine. Personally I don't like adding anything to the water besides prime so I would go with the heat route. Also just make sure your water parameters are perfect and do water changes accordingly. Ich is an opportunistic parasite and usually only appears if your water conditions are bad or your fish are stressed, which lowers their immune system.

Back
Top Bottom