Clown Pleco with growing red spot on head.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like an injury of some kind. I would start by treating with some mela/pimafix and keep a close eye on it. What size tank is he going into? Are you QT'ing him first? How long have you had him now? I'd contact the breeder to see if he/she knows of anything he may have rubbed up against. It may be an illness but should try and rule out injury first.

Tank size currently: 10g
Future home: 40g
QT: I use the 10g as a QT basically.

Purchased from a LFS that does have some rocks in the tank so he/she could easily have been scratched. Just making sure it wasn't some kind of fungus or anything.

It doesn't look like fungus to me but the pics are difficult to tell. Usually fungus will turn white and cottony. I'd keep a close eye on it and watch for any other behaviour changes. If it increases in size, then it is unlikely that is an injury. Good luck.

Well I have some good news. After four days of Melafix as a treatment the red area is gone. She still is a bit sluggish but the red spot being gone is an improvement. Her new home was jus set up today with pleanty of plants and the filter will be seeded tomorrow.

Hopefully by the end of the month it will be ready to go! Lots of driftwood and caves for her and her partner to "get busy" with.

At least I hope she is really a she!

often plecos can burn themselves on heaters, i have noticed....it could have been that.

Why is that though? Are the tanks they are kept in just not warm enough so they feel the need to be right next to the heater?

Good thing the tank she is going in has a Stealth heater instead of a glass one. Hopefully the outside won't be as hot and she doesn't burn herself again. The male I've had has never even been near the heater.

Her color is almost that of the male now. I found the two side by side in my large Java Fern today. Little hanky panky in the Java Fern maybe? I can only hope.

Back
Top Bottom