Cory barbels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a spotted Cory, I've had him for a couple months now and he's been happy and healthy- but is now missing his barbels. I thought my gravel was smooth enough for him, but my guess is that no, it's not. I don't think he is sick, I think rough gravel pieces did it. He is still eating and active-- I have a tank with sand substrate and also intend to switch the one he is in to sand, but will his barbels grow back? I feel like a bad Cory mom!

I had one that got into a fight and his got torn off. One person told me to soak their food in garlic and that way they can smell it and find the food a little better. And yes they do grow back.

Ive never had corys with damaged barbels but anytime my fish have had damaged finnage it grows back surprisingly fast

So I know that the link I posted above said that the gravel causing the loss of barbels is a myth... But I am slowly changing the substrate in his tank, a corner at a time, to sand. And he hangs out on the "beach" all day long now.

image-1224315804.jpg

So I'm guessing that they really do like the sand better.

What kind of substrate did you use? I'm going to change mine out once I decide what I want to use.

I've been keeping corydora for about 8 years now. One lost his barbels... Well half of them (his right side) not sure why... Probably eaten by one of my cichlids or poor water quality (I left my aquarium in the care of my grandma when I deployed overseas) so anything is possible. We all know how grannies have a tendency to keep bellies full ;)
After about 1 1/2 years and near perfect water... His barbels haven't grown back.
But! It doesn't seem like it has affected his appetite. He finds food just fine.

Hope my experience helps

Biosfear said:
I've been keeping corydora for about 8 years now. One lost his barbels... Well half of them (his right side) not sure why... Probably eaten by one of my cichlids or poor water quality (I left my aquarium in the care of my grandma when I deployed overseas) so anything is possible. We all know how grannies have a tendency to keep bellies full ;)
After about 1 1/2 years and near perfect water... His barbels haven't grown back.
But! It doesn't seem like it has affected his appetite. He finds food just fine.

Hope my experience helps

It does help! Good to know he will still be able to live a normal life!

I just got 50lbs of play sand at home depot ($4) because I wanted to try it out in a different tank ... I liked it so much I'm changing this tank to sand too. I'm doing this one in installments because I'm feeling lazy and it seems to be not as stressful for the fish either.

Update: the barbels are growing back! He hangs out on the sandy parts of the tank a lot and burrows around and looks adorable all day. Love him!

VioletEmber said:
Update: the barbels are growing back! He hangs out on the sandy parts of the tank a lot and burrows around and looks adorable all day. Love him!

Oh good! I just love cories, they are just so cute!
Can we get a picture?

Back
Top Bottom