Cotton Mouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It happened to be out of the blue the fish I buy are 2 weeks quarantined before the store will sell them my nephew did put a fish in the tank but it was from the same fish store I go to

I used Furan 2 when I got it in my 55 a couple of years ago. I cleared it with 2 treatments a week apart. I also added an extra bubbler I had. I lost my entire school of harlequins and 1/2 my rainbows, but saved my silver dollars and dojo loaches (which are scaleless and I was most concerned about medicating with them). I don't have plants in that tank though, because of my silver dollars. It's a nasty disease, I hope your good streak continues!

I haven't had any [emoji88] since the 2 Khuli's I found on the morning of the 14th. Today I plan on cleaning the tank and canister. The UV water filter has been running since Wednesday night. I'll probably leave it on a few more days.

I plan on celebrating New Years with some new Khuli's if all goes well until then.

No deaths since 11/14! Fish seem to all be ok. However my plan to UV the plants may have reduced some bacteria, but my plants are melted. The bucephalandra took it the worst. Melted in a few days and the snails had at it. The anubias looks like it is just about ready to be eaten. If not I will have to prune. Just hoping the rhizomes are ok and they recover. About 6 months from now it might all be ok. Melted Anubias
IMG_1480263152.000727.jpg

Java damageIMG_1480263183.745091.jpg
And my poor buce[emoji24]IMG_1480263215.081041.jpg

Junglefowl I'm just so sorry what I've done to your beautiful babies.

The Buce has pretty strong rhizomes. As long as there's no rotten part, they grow new leaves. You can trim the damaged leaves and parts, it helps them grow back better.

Same to anubias and java fern!

Thanks Caliban and Junglefowl. I was prepared to stare at a fish free tank waiting for the bacteria to die off. But the plant carnage is really another big blow.

Have you ever used UV on your plants? I think we may have blasted them too long or too close. The rhizomes still look green so I will be trimming soon. I figure the snails might as well enjoy them for the moment.

Yes I used a UVC bulb that my hubbie uses to sterilize his spirulina equipment. I took the plants out of the tank and put them in a large pan of the tank water and exposed them to the UV. It was all covered to keep me from being exposed. I did it for 10 minutes and then flipped over the plants and another 10 on the other side.

Last edited:
Yes I used a UVC bulb that my hubbie uses to sterilize his spirulina equipment. I took the plants out of the tank and put them in a large pan of the tank water and exposed them to the UV. It was all covered to keep me from being exposed. I did it for 10 minutes and then flipped over the plants and another 10 on the other side.

Hmmm, can't recall this being done before. You think the UV was the problem? Can't think of anything else though.

I have looked at lights that include UV as part of the light spectrum but perhaps these wouldn't be as strong.

Hmmm, can't recall this being done before. You think the UV was the problem? Can't think of anything else though.

I have looked at lights that include UV as part of the light spectrum but perhaps these wouldn't be as strong.

Yep that's me trying stuff no one else would do. Lol

UVC is a germicidal grade and is dangerous if not handled correctly. The plants were fine prior and were kept in tank water while treated. But I could not find any info on how long to expose or light distance. So I guessed....wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's me trying stuff no one else would do. Lol

UVC is a germicidal grade and is dangerous if not handled correctly. The plants were fine prior and were kept in tank water while treated. But I could not find any info on how long to expose or light distance. So I guessed....wrong.

Also something to consider (I'm not up on UV sterilising plants) but perhaps this is done more on terrestrial plants which have some degree of protection to UV. Perhaps aquatic plants (which alter their leaf structure when submersed) are a little less resilient?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also something to consider (I'm not up on UV sterilising plants) but perhaps this is done more on terrestrial plants which have some degree of protection to UV. Perhaps aquatic plants (which alter their leaf structure when submersed) are a little less resilient?

I would agree. The needle leaf Java looks fine which is odd. It is usually the one that melts back to nothing when I mess with it and the Anubias wears like iron. Planning on trimming today. Snails aren't eating it and it looks awful. Probably not helping the water either. IMG_1480435889.139365.jpg

a light strong enough to 'sterilize' can easy damage kill even 'large' forms of life.
I didn't think that damage looked like a regular uv light in filter application could have really been the reason...

I would think if it lived it should regenerate ?
Just my thoughts?:confused:

Ya in a desperate move to try and save some fish by killing as much bacteria as possible I damaged the plants. My stupidity knows no bounds. I only post and share so that perhaps no one else will try this.

You sure you are not from NY?:lol:

Sometimes that is all there is to do for fun!:dance:

NY does not have anything on us native California's. One time my hubbie was trying to dry something in the back yard with a fersnel lense. And forgot that the sun is not stationary in the sky. And set the fence on fire.

Back
Top Bottom