Cotton Mouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been lowering the temp a few degrees per day. Shooting for 75, it was 80.2.

API master kit
Ph 7.6
Ammonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40-80

Ppm meter 260

API strips.
GH 120
KH 40

Last edited:
It says high bioloads and high water Temps, I lowered my tank to 74 when I had my out break, I did have it at 81 when it happened and my tank was way over crowded at 135% stocked, the tank looks great I don't think it affects snails but I might be wrong and don't know about plants, it lives up to 32 days but that's odd cause I had a few fish die past that point, it's no joke though for sure you can also do salt potassium pomegranate baths as well as hydrogen peroxide.

Screenshot_20161114-223032.jpg

What's that mean by low dissolved oxygen levels, I don't even check my hardness doah.

I need to research this stuff so I can do everything in my power to never get it again, I know how you must feel your tank is amazing, all that hard work but believe me is not your fault, why can't you treat with furan 2 and kanaplex? Will it kill your plants and snails? Do you have a hospital tank for the snails if the meds will kill them until after you treat the tank? I mean what you could do as it didn't kill all my fish is just watch closely and as bad as it sounds if you see a fish with symptoms you could quarantine it and try the treatments if that direct with he will probably pass but you never know. I was at a loss after trying 5 different things in the short time of 1.5 months and so ended up euthanizing the fish I saw with symptoms

I did some more reading about the 4 different strains of columnaris. Two of them are essentially untreatable due to how fast they kill the fish. The other 2 usually have some sort of outward symptoms and will gradually kill off fish as days go by unless treated. If I have anymore deaths I will be shopping for meds...
With proper water conditions, low stress, and the right antibiotic, columnaris is very much treatable, even reversible. Iv'e done it countless times.

Well help this man out, I lost a crap ton when I had it before would like to know what you did.

If I take the snails and plants out while treating the tank, and then put them back in, won't I just be reintroducing the bacteria again?

I am a patient woman. If that tank has to sit without a fish in it for a year I will do it just to save the plants and snails. I was considering the meds before being told that they might not work but would most likely kill everything else.

Oops sorry I called you a male lol, I honestly have no other idea but I guess Matt has cured and reversed it which I would love to hear how

Sorry bout that I fell asleep , did Matt tell you the meds he used or anything? I can't find it if he did, and how are the fish and snails doing?

No word from Matt yet.

No casualties this morning and no one appearing to be knocking on deaths door. They were all a bit irritated I turned the light on so early!

One of my friends suggested that the betta dying and the neons were unrelated. But when I had 2 dead Khuli's yesterday....

I'm going to pick up a UV sterilizer for the water. I'm considering Hydrogen peroxide and UV treatments for the plants this weekend. At least the UV. Last time I salt dipped a Java it melted back to nothing. The peroxide melted my jungle Val in the past so I'm a bit nervous to treat it with peroxide.

Yeah vals are delicate like have to use half the amount of excel if you do you excel, I wish he would respond because we'll id like to know what he did in case I get it again, glad to hear about the fishes being okay.

I added the UV filter last night. No casualties this morning. Saying prayers hourly that the worst is over but still planning the major UV blast this weekend for everything I can pull out of the tank. Temp is down to 75 now.

Do the fish still seem okay? Eating, swimming correctly not at the top gasping, no white spots? If it was the bad bad strain every fish in the tank would be gone or at least showing signs the other strains (I hope not) aren't as fast, what does the uv thing do

Do the fish still seem okay? Eating, swimming correctly not at the top gasping, no white spots? If it was the bad bad strain every fish in the tank would be gone or at least showing signs the other strains (I hope not) aren't as fast, what does the uv thing do

Today was another good day. No casualties. No one is showing any signs of illness everyone is doing the usual and eating.

My husband swears by UV light to kill bacteria. I have read positive things as well. While spot treatment will not kill all of it, perhaps decreasing will help. This along with the water treatment and I will doing a 50+% water change maybe it will give a few more fish a chance at making it.

I'm probably wrong. But I feel like I should try something if I'm not going to medicate the hell out of the tank.

Don't sweat it itll be alright, i feel you though I still worry about adding fish and it's been over a year

It will do me good to sweat a while. Maybe I'll have a bit more discipline to quarantine in the future.

Back
Top Bottom