Crap it's cold!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I live in SW Minnesota (think little house on the prairie) I live in an old house with old doors my tank is right next to the door. Well the wind kicked up sometime in the middle of the night and blew my front door open and at 5:30 this morning my husband woke me up because it was snowing in my house and my tank. I must have turned my heaters down to low and my air temp in the house was maintaining the tank temp at 75f. I turned it down to treat the columnaris outbreak. My tank was only at 60. The angel the glofish, plec, and the ottos all seem to be handling it in stride. But the neons are not they look bad really bad. Those are the ones I can see but I am missing 4 out of 9 of them. The tank temp is up to 68 lights on (more heat) for the last hour and the ones I can see still haven't colored up this morning. Is that cold enough to kill neons???

Sounds like it might be cold enough with 4 missing .
I would look for them and remove before they contribute to bad water quality..

Hopefully when the tank temp gets up alittle more the last one will show up. Better late than never. Could try throwing in some food for them. It might show up sooner. Just so you know you got them all. As for the door, might wanta reinforce it. Maybe an old style bar latch. 2X4.and screws. ?

All 9 are present and accounted for! The tank is happily at the 80 they all seem to like. Now that the columnaris seems to be gone. The door is bolted now we forgot to lock it last night. First time in 5 years that has happened.

I dont understand how you got columnaris, but i understand the cold part. Try to get that door insulated, they make door jam things and door skirts to seal it off.

Its been down to like 11 below here in nebraska, my cold water pipes going to the bathroom froze.... luckily, there has not been any wind this winter, you know your a northerner when you go outside and its 5 degrees but it dosent feel cold to you because there is some sun and no wind :)

Can I swap? It's been over 45c (115f) here in Sydney Australia lol

Matt the columnaris was a about a month ago and I never turned the temp back up to 78-80. And yes it has been like that but our wind has been terrible! What part of Nebraska we are close to Sioux Falls SD

Hopefully when the tank temp gets up alittle more the last one will show up. Better late than never. Could try throwing in some food for them. It might show up sooner. Just so you know you got them all. As for the door, might wanta reinforce it. Maybe an old style bar latch. 2X4.and screws. ?

That's what I was envisioning!!

Have only heard of the bitter winters from relations, when they were freezing as children. Waking up with snow on the blankets from the cracks in the house.

Glad to hear the little fish are warming up. And you too!

I have lived in both Lincoln and bellevue the last 10 years. Born and raised in lincoln.
Seems like we just havent had the wind here thankfully this year, its so bitter cold the last thing we need is windchill.

Back
Top Bottom