cyano treatment with maracyn turn into a ICK fest???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well great news on the cyano.. Its all gone... Finished the maracyn (yesterday was day 5) So i come home tonight their is no evidence of cyano...

But I have white spots on my fish.. ICK?

If it is ICK this is the first time for me.. I am soooo lucky.. :(

I guess it isn't the maracyn sticking to fish huh???

BLAAAAAH

Any suggestions?

Mooose

Well unless I hear any different I have to start treating it as ick.. Unless maracyn sticks to fish during treatment..... :(

Dear Diary: Day 1 ICK Treatment. I've started raising the temp slowly.. wish me luck.....

Mooose

Oy. :cry:

I have not had this happen before, so I can't make any correlations between use of Maracyn and ich onset - there should be no relationship. Stress can bring on ich but I can't imagine how the light dose of Maracyn would stress the fish. Did you experience any signs of a mini-cycle during the treatment?

Get the heat up and keep it there. If this is in your big tank the plants won't like it but they'll bounce back.

ah man.. I didn't even think about the plants.. :(

No mini cycle according to tests.. But the lights are new and brighter and probably stressed them up...

Guess its part of the life of fish keeping I was happy with my 2 year no ick track record....

Mooose

Probably why you should always set up things right in the first place... I added the canister a few months back and now the lighting upgrade... "if it isn't broke don't fix it. "....

So remember kids set it up right the first time.... - Sponge Bob

That's my only guess is that it's due to stress, wierder things have brought about an onset of ick. Really, the heat treatment isn't too hard and usually you don't have more than one or two problems if you do it correctly.

I am optimistic that you will see this thing through, like the cyano, and we're all rootin' for ya! :D

Thanks Tank Girl and Poppa02....

I am starting with just increasing the heat slowly going to go up to 86 slowly... No med's required right?

The good thing about posting on here is I will be able to keep track of my progress.. :)

I did read the ICK info just asking for opinions as well.. :)

Mooose

I have treated ich completely and permanently with heat alone, so as long as you keep it up a while after you see the last spot you should be good to go.

:? bummer. Did you compare what your fish look like with the fish infected with ich from the FW ich article? Do you need me to come over and diagnos??

No spots left.. Have to pry myself away from the heater because I want to turn it back down for the plants.. But I know I should wait at least 2 weeks.. A few days ago I saw my last white spot so I will use this post as my official "moose wait 2 weeks from today" So around christmas or so.. :)

Plants are still doing good.. And I think the heat may have put my zebra snails in the mood for love....

Mooose

Back
Top Bottom