Danio with a hole in it's side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reicirith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Golden long-fin Danio
49 gallon tank, running for over 2 years
fluval c3
no new decor, no new fish (last new fish was put in a month ago- 2 black phantom tetras)
water change/gravel cleaning every two weeks

This has happened once before to a silvertip tetra, I caught that one too late, and it died. This is the second time it has happened.

It started with a red bump on the side of the body.
I treated with parasite clear twice with daily water changes, and it's turned into this>
DSC_1053.jpg

This morning, there is no longer a single dot in the middle.

Does anyone know what it is?
I don't really have much experience with external wounds like this. I don't know if it's parasitic.

Behaviour is pretty normal, he's been eating normally. Breathing a little heavy this morning, might just be the lack of aeration in the quarantine tank, trying to use an air pump with limited flow, but it's fidgety, so I'd like to just be able to put him back in the main tank as soon as possible. =/

It's been a while since my last post. The danio had healed after the treatment, acted normally. However the hole has come back in the last week, in a different location. It's the exact same danio too. I only have 3 golden danios (one is shorter finned, the other is a leopard).

*** The tank is 29 gallon, not 49 (typo) ***
pH is at exactly 7, ammonia under 0.02 ppm
Temperature set at 25C
6 Black skirt tetra, 9 phantom tetra, 2 pristella tetra, 3 glowlight tetra, 3 golden danios, 1 long fin zebra danio, 1 golden algae eater (no other fish showing symptoms)
I feed them flaked food (tetramin pro), sometimes I add freeze dried bloodworms and frozen mysis shrimp.
Last water change was 10 days ago, about 10%, usually done about once every 3 weeks.
Nothing was changed recently

I've attached new photos. Can anyone please tell me what this is, and if/how I can get rid of it once and for all?

P6221500-2.jpg
P6221497-2.jpg
P6221499-2.jpg

Oh I really hope someone can help you! That looks awful! Poor fish! :(

Thanks, I hope so too, but no one seems to have anything to say about it. :(

I don't want to keep having to put this fish though the treatment every couple of months. If this keeps happening, I might have to just euthanize him. :nono:

Thanks, I hope so too, but no one seems to have anything to say about it. :(

I don't want to keep having to put this fish though the treatment every couple of months. If this keeps happening, I might have to just euthanize him. :nono:

I think sometimes people are stumped. Maybe never come across something like this before so cannot comment. In those cases, the answers just don't come. I honestly don't know what it could be or what to suggest. It's a bit cheeky, but I've found help from the guys on wetwebmedia when I don't get answers here. Send them an email, attach your photos, and check your email inbox tomorrow. They should have something to say that might be helpful.

It's a Bacterial Ulcer. Treat it with PimaFix, and keep an eye on them. I suck at sexting danios lol, but they are very susceptible to Bacterial Infections when their breeding.
Best of luck!

It's a Bacterial Ulcer. Treat it with PimaFix, and keep an eye on them. I suck at sexting danios lol, but they are very susceptible to Bacterial Infections when their breeding.
Best of luck!

Pimafix is probably not going to be strong enough for a wound that bad.
To the OP, I had a tetra with a similar ulcerated wound in April. Sadly the little guy didn't make it.
Bacteria like warm water, so I would advise lowering the temperature, increasing circulation, adding salt, and read up on bacterial infections.
See if this is helpful : http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Vibrio_Aeromonas.html

I've been treating with Tetracycline. It is healing over, and he seems to be active and eating well, but now it seems to have a swim bladder problem. =(

Hope he makes it. :(

It's been a while since my last post. The danio had healed after the treatment, acted normally. However the hole has come back in the last week, in a different location. It's the exact same danio too. I only have 3 golden danios (one is shorter finned, the other is a leopard).

*** The tank is 29 gallon, not 49 (typo) ***
pH is at exactly 7, ammonia under 0.02 ppm
Temperature set at 25C
6 Black skirt tetra, 9 phantom tetra, 2 pristella tetra, 3 glowlight tetra, 3 golden danios, 1 long fin zebra danio, 1 golden algae eater (no other fish showing symptoms)
I feed them flaked food (tetramin pro), sometimes I add freeze dried bloodworms and frozen mysis shrimp.
Last water change was 10 days ago, about 10%, usually done about once every 3 weeks.
Nothing was changed recently

I've attached new photos. Can anyone please tell me what this is, and if/how I can get rid of it once and for all?

This same thing happened to my ram took pics to just about ever lfs they had no idea what was wrong about a month later his side just blow out. One ifs said it could have been a cancer tumor in it but no one had a straight answer on what it was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom