Danio with blood visible near fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My most healthy leopard danio has blood apperaing at the start of his dorsal and tail fins. He's not acting any differentley to normal.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.) Leopard danio with visible blood under scales.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. My PH is 8.0-8.5 i dont know my ammonia nitrites, nitrate levels although my tank is due a water change which i will do today.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 80-85L
20-25 Gal set up since november.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Not completely sure, its internal

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
Fish have died and i havent up-dated my fish list but at the moment i have... 3 tiger barbs, (1 albino, 2 striped) 4 danios. (2 leopard, 2 zebra) 1 dwarf pleco. 3 black neons, 1 bala, 2 botia loach. 1 red honey gourami.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I did a 30% water change last week and a gravel vac 4 days ago. i do water changes every week and gravel vacs every 3 days.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
All the danios were first in my tank. I put the bag on top of the water for 20 minutes.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No but i took out my log.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I ran out of bloodworms and ive fed them on flakes for the last week. they have a diet of flakes and bloodworms usually.

Thanks or the replies lol.

I just did a 30-40% water change and gravel vac.

he's showing more signs of illness now, he's not swimming around much and when i fed them he swam moderaltey to get food. Which is very out of character for this particluar fish.

The blood patches have spread now and the bottom half of the danio is pinky red.
the area around the fins is a much deeper red now also.

I dont want this fish to die! it looks so good, full and i mean full of colour and it has such big elegant fins lol

I would grab some anti-bacterial meds asap. Bacterial infections are something you don't want to mess around with at all.

Dose with melafix, or any other anti-bacterial med that you find, and add some stress coat.

Also, get a test kit asap, or take your water someplace to get tested.

Without proper water chemistry test results its very hard to give anything near a reliable diagnosis. But I'm going to to surmise from info provided that your water parameters are off, that you are overstocked, have aggression issues and under filtrated, all of which are conducive to injury and disease.
I further surmise that this has led to either a bacterial infection resulting in bacterial hemorrhaging or Septicemia.
You will need to treat with meds to best help your fish overcome its ailments, and you will need to acquire the necessary test kits, NH3, NO2, NO3, these are required for proper water management, and use them weekly to maintain water quality issues.

Further you are most likely experiencing or are going to experience aggression issues from your Tiger Barbs, these fish are notoriously aggressive when not kept with atleast 5+ fish in a school.
The Bala Shark will outgrow your tank very quickly.
What type of Botia Loaches? I can think of about 7-9 Botia types, most of which prefer shoals and/or will out grow your tank.

Back
Top Bottom