Dead Angelfish. Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do not need to use aquarium salt in a freshwater tank unless you are treating fish for certain ailments.

Veil angels are no different than any other variant of scalare.

I still think you got some weak stock and would be better off looking for a breeder.

Thanks! will do,
From now on I just go to petsmart to buy supplies if needed.
Unfortunatly my closest LFS is 30 miles away but will be worth the drive.

Elpez said:
Thanks!
I don't use nor want to use salt either.
I thought the PH range for Angelfish is 6 to 8. And preferably 7. Are veil tails different?

Most fish can and do adapt to pretty much any ph. Are you wanting to breed? I've never attempted, but I would assume that the ph then would have to be between the 6-8. Otherwise just stable

No, I am not trying to breed. I read that angel fish will thrive when the ph is neutral or lower, also better colors and better inmune system. I do agree that most fish will adapt to other conditions and anything stable is better than constant changes.
Also 7 is the PH of the amazon river! or is it lower? other rivers are lower
Thanks again for all your comments and help.

So I went to petsmart last night to return the dead angel and they were nice and said a lot of their angelfish also die in their tanks.
Thay said my water is fine.

If alot of Angles die in there tanks I wouldn't go back. Angels are not even close to be hard to care for, so I would try to go to another store. And yes your correct Angles to do like closer to acid or neutral water, but They can adapt.. I have my angels at a ph of 7.2 they love it

Thanks! 7 to 7.2 will be my target. Last night I meassure the PH and it's still 7.8. How long does it take for the peat to make a change? I added 8 tbsp to a media bad.

Cool thanks,
I did a WC today 25%. with spring w and ro 50/50.
I'll meassure PH in a few minutes

I know this has been said, but I am going to reiterate a few things. Your pH is fine. My angels live and breed in higher pH than that without any issue. If you want to needlessly spend money on peat moss, you can.
Your ammonia is fine. It is nowhere near toxic levels, abosolutely no worries there. Baby angels are notoriously difficult. I know lots and lots of people who have had those itty bitty ones drop dead in pristine water. Your lfs may well get the same stock at PetSmart does. You can check online for local breeders. Sometimes people will post on CL, or you can order online. If you do get more from PetSmart, I recommend finding larger ones if possible. The bigger ones seem more hardy.
Angels are my favorite aquarium fish, and they are very rewarding to keep. I hope you can find some good, healthy ones for your tank. :)

Yes thanks. I confirmed my water was not the issue when I return the dead angel. I still want to get my water at around ph7.
It's at 7.4 now and I will not touch it for 2 weeks. Lets see what the peat does.
Once my water is stable and i feel the tank is fully cycled then I'll get some Angels. I found a lfs two blocks from my job, only a mile from LAX. they had some nice looking veils, black white yellow and silver.
I cant wait

Why? What's the point of lowering your ph? Are you just experimenting with the peat? Sounds more like a headache to me..

No, no experimenting. I just want to provide them with the same Or similar conditions as in their original environment. PH of the amazon is 6.8 to 7.0 and there is lots of trees in the water probably what makes it acidic, and the low ph from the rain. So it's just prefference in my case.

Elpez said:
No, no experimenting. I just want to provide them with the same Or similar conditions as in their original environment. PH of the amazon is 6.8 to 7.0 and there is lots of trees in the water probably what makes it acidic, and the low ph from the rain. So it's just prefference in my case.

I use peat because I was getting ph swings and it keeps my tank stabilized at 6.4ish before I would get different readings from time to time now it never moves and I do 50% water changes 2x a week that's why I like it never was really a headache either maybe I got lucky but I just throw a bag of it in my HOB filter and it went there and never moved again so I just change it for new peat moss like every 3 months or so

I use peat because I was getting ph swings and it keeps my tank stabilized at 6.4ish before I would get different readings from time to time now it never moves and I do 50% water changes 2x a week that's why I like it never was really a headache either maybe I got lucky but I just throw a bag of it in my HOB filter and it went there and never moved again so I just change it for new peat moss like every 3 months or so

That's cool! PH I mean, but you do 2 wc per week? and 50%?
No way I am doing that with an 80G tank. How big is your tank?

Elpez said:
That's cool! PH I mean, but you do 2 wc per week? and 50%?
No way I am doing that with an 80G tank. How big is your tank?

No you wouldn't have to my tank is 55 gal only reason I have to is because I have discus in that tank my other tanks I only change like 30% once a week but discus require very clean water some breeders in Asia do 100% water changes daily to their discus

Thanks for the info. But that's nuts, lol. I'll make sure not get discus!

Back
Top Bottom