Dead Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I just purchased an African dwarf frog last week for my daughters tank. It died in 4 days. I returned it to Petsmart and got a second one. This one lasted 2 days. I have it in a 10 g tank with 4 Khulis. I tested the water with an API master kit and the water was fine, no ammonia, no Nitrites, low nitrates. My water is pretty hard and on the alkaline side. I have been feeding the frogs freeze dried blood worms and flakes. I do not know what is killing these. There are no markings or any signs of illness on the frogs. They seem fine swimming around. Then all of a sudden they are dead. I really do not know much about these, except what I was told at Petsmart. Do they need special food or water conditions? Did I get a couple of bad ones?

Hi! Sorry, I have zero experience with frogs (although am thinking of getting an ADF myself when my tank cycles) so I'll be following this thread. I'm sure someone with more experience will respond soon! Sorry about your frogs :(

Frogs are not supposed to eat freeze-dried foods. I would suspect that is the cause. But, that's just my $0.02.

I would feed them food that is just for frogs. Freeze dried anything is bad for any fish or frog, and should not be fed as a main diet IMO.

Look into a frog specific diet.

I'm far from an expert, but I feed my ADF: HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. Occasionally, he eats a few fish flakes that fall in front of his mouth, too.

Back
Top Bottom