deaths!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the ambient temperature won't change the temperature of the tank that much. What is the temperature of the tank? It should be 72 or above. I'd keep it at 76-80.

:(

ok. one of my mollys looks like it has ich. one of the spots is on it's fin is red and protruding a little.
it looked like it had ich a week ago, so i put coppersafe in and i'm using maracy two. one week later it's back.

Actually, Nitrate really isnt bery harmful, until it gets into the 60's. That dosent mean that you should let it get that high, but if missed a water change, your fish arent doomed. I would not do a 90 percent water change. I would do 2 20 percent water changes. 1 today, and the other tommorow. To much water being taken out will stress the fish out. After you do the 2 water changes, test the water again.

5 ppm is too high? i thought that i was supposed to be under 10?

To take care of the nitrates, you could try getting a bunch of anacharis or something, but if he's doing daily wc's, then it doesn't really make sense for the nitrates to spike up t0 60?

nitrates have been under control not that i realized that it's coming out of my tap between 40-80 ppm. i condition for that now.

so nitrates arent a prob unless 5 ppm is bad

Actually, Nitrate really isnt bery harmful, until it gets into the 60's. That dosent mean that you should let it get that high, but if missed a water change, your fish arent doomed. I would not do a 90 percent water change. I would do 2 20 percent water changes. 1 today, and the other tommorow. To much water being taken out will stress the fish out. After you do the 2 water changes, test the water again.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Nitrates should be kept below 30ppm in any respectable tank, under 20ppm for more fragile fish such as discus, and even lower when dealing with extremely finicky specimens such as crystal red shrimp.

A 90% water change is not going to stress the fish. I don't know where you got that information from but it's far from the truth. If you were inhaling heavy smoke would you rather have a pure oxygen supply now or a 50% oxygen and 50% smoke mixture? How is fresh water going to stress them? I fail to see so maybe you can enlighten us.

ok. so i was treating for ich with copersafe and i've been using maracyn two. maracyn two is supposed to treat popeye. you said that the popeye was caused by the amount of stress it went through when it gave birth, but its getting pretty bad. one eye is very swollen, cloudy and i really think its blind in that eye. the other eye is very swollen, cloudy and it has blood at the bottom of it. i'm starting to get very worried

According to research popeye can be caused by water condition but can also be from Ich (I suppose if the parasite got into the eyes) or a number of other reasons.
Stress alone does not cause any disease, including popeye. Stress lowers the fishes imunity and makes it more susceptible to diseases and infections.
Sounds like you are doing all you can.

Back
Top Bottom