Distressed Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put the beta and goldfish in the rubbermaid. Discus are the ACES here.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that's what I was planning, just not the betta. He has shown no aggression toward the discus and he's going blind. It was his tank to begin with so I am not moving him, into a tub with a butt load of goldies that he hates. I am already planning a nice tank for him since I plan on breeding bettas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It really bothers me when people love fish and say they are amazing and stuff and then they turn their back on a fish that could be easily brought back to health, and it may be a little troublesome in your tank, that's why try to find it a good home. Say you were a sick goldfish sitting in a tank that was doomed, you were gonna either freeze or starve or both...or you could go to a warm safe home for a little while before you go back to the place you started just didn't have to die.

I get ya... But not at the cost of leaving your others vulnerable though.

Lets just hope your discus are ok...

I know your the expert on them and I respect that and think it's awesome. But we are all different and some of us are outliers and go against what others think they should do, and I'm one of those.

I was looking it from the stand point that you asked me for help with your discus. You also stated that the goldfish were previously sick. So when i say the discus are the aces here. Its because thats what YOU asked me for help with. I also am not down grading the beta or the goldfish... I'm just a realist, and out of your listed group they are the hardiest ones. The ones most capable of dealing with that transfer and living environment. The discus would be best off staying put. No value was assigned here. And as faras being an outlier.... Good for you. Thats not even relevant.

He is moving around much more, his color is still a little dark but has returned, and he is eating

Im sorry if you took any suggestions as assigning a lesser value.

I'm sorry, I kinda got mad bc my betta keeps getting brought into this and ppl keep telling me I should've left the goldies to die.

He looks great today. I guess he just needed a water change

I'm sorry, I kinda got mad bc my betta keeps getting brought into this and ppl keep telling me I should've left the goldies to die.

Why are you convinced the goldfish would die if left where they were? As long as the tank water did not freeze (doubt that since the building should not get that cold) and the temperature drop was gradual, then they should be fine. At lower temperatures, the need for food would be reduced. No food means less waste.
When I kept goldfish in a pond I would typically hold off feeding from mid-October to March/April (water temps under 50 consistently). Just something to consider in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why are you convinced the goldfish would die if left where they were? As long as the tank water did not freeze (doubt that since the building should not get that cold) and the temperature drop was gradual, then they should be fine. At lower temperatures, the need for food would be reduced. No food means less waste.
When I kept goldfish in a pond I would typically hold off feeding from mid-October to March/April (water temps under 50 consistently). Just something to consider in the future.

Our school system doesn't have enough money to leave the heat on, at night, the weekends, and breaks. Plus nobody would've been there to clean the tank, do water changes, or feed them. And it's been hot here lately so they would've had to eat more. And the temp drop was not gradual bc it went from a 78 degree room to mid 30s in a few hours.

I understand about shutting off the heat during winter break. I was actually counting on it. I think you missed the point about the cool temps and no need to feed them or do maintenance or how the outdoor goldfish were not fed for 5 months. What are we talking here...3-4 weeks?
Anyhow, I will no longer dwell on this as it is not really relevant to you current situation.

I understand about shutting off the heat during winter break. I was actually counting on it. I think you missed the point about the cool temps and no need to feed them or do maintenance or how the outdoor goldfish were not fed for 5 months. What are we talking here...3-4 weeks?
Anyhow, I will no longer dwell on this as it is not really relevant to you current situation.

Oh true, I completely forgot a bn out that...that's me I guess....forgetful

I don't have a clue how he died, he hasn't been bullied, he was eating well, etc. The only thing I don't really know is ph since my scale starts at 7.6 and goes up. I was much more worried about my other discus since he is constantly super dark and acts stressed

Actually there is this weird white growth on one of my otos...crap. you can kinda see it toward his/her tail

Attachments

• 1452643910276.jpg
    1452643910276.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 52
Okay here are parameters in the discus tank.
Nitrite-.05
Nitrate-10
Ammonia-.3
Ph-7.6
Temp-86

The Nitrate and ammonia are a little high since I missed a water change yesterday due to a crap load of schoolwork.

Back
Top Bottom