Does my betta have velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Mate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently noticed that when using the torch, my betta has a gold tinge to his belly and a rust coloured area on his tail.

Excuse the poor pictures but he is quite active!

The tail looks as if it's either been bitten or torn, but under the light it has a rust coloured look to it. Is this just part of the healing process or could it be velvet/fin rot? The area is near the top edge of his tail fin.

Lastly, if it is velvet and he does need medication, would it affect the other fish in the tank?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8897.jpgIMG_8917.jpgIMG_8919.jpgIMG_8926.jpg

I'm not 100% sure it is velvet, however, to be sure, raise the temperature of the tank to 80F and add aquarium salt according to package directions that pair with how big your tank is. If it is in fact velvet, (and someone else can chime in to help confirm or dismiss this!) then you will need a hospital tank, so your betta will need to be removed from the tank. Make sure the parameters are the same, as well as the temp in this hospital tank. You will need something like Coppersafe or cupramine to treat velvet, but be very careful as this is easily overdosed and kills fish, only use it if you are 110% sure you need to. You can't treat the betta in the same tank because 1-Yes it will affect the other fish and 2- Using copper is not very good for tanks, and a lot of the time tanks need to be recycled after using these meds. Instead of spending a ton of money on a tank you might have to get rid of, you can use sterilite brand storage bins that would basically add up to roughly 3 gallons (it is much cheaper than a tank! and it is safe for fish!). Velvet requires light to be able to survive, so make sure that the betta is not near any natural light. ALSO in regards to the fins, other fish, especially neons nip fins, the fins could also be in bad shape due to poor water quality. what are your parameters? how often do you do water changes?
You can start the salt and high temp treatment now though! it will help with the repairing for the tail as well.

Someone else please chime in just to be safe!

Thanks for your help!

There isn't much nipping going on in the tank but I have seen it. Also, he arrived to us in a similar condition, but it has worsened.

We'll try the temperature and aquarium salt method just to help the fins heal. He does seem to be very active and constantly swimming around the tank so it hopefully isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom