doom fish, new plecostamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreak5

Aquarium Advice Regular
bought a new pleco from the :uzi:petsmart :tgv: near my house, this one generally keep their tanks very healthy, bought fish from there before, and they were always healthy, but this new one is killing my tank, it brough ick,body slime, and fin and tail rot, all my fish are dying, although my aquatic frog is fine, he has been moved to a bowl for precaution, the tank has had tetracyclene added, and all ornaments have been remove and bleached.
can frogs get any of these?
any suggestionsfor treatment?

current water quality,
hardness 180 carbonate hardness
ph 7.5
no3 200

Last edited:
oh casualtie list, new pleco, old rubber lipped pleco, loach, about 6 guppies, red wag platy and thats it for now, expect more casualties tomorrow.

Aquatic frogs can get all kinds of fugus diseases, so keep him OUT of the tank but give it 100 percent clean water every day.

You did not post your if you have amonia or nitrite. Test and post your results right away.

Unless you have amonia and/or nitrite, you should not change 80% of water at once, that can make the tank cycle.

IF you are free of amonia and nitrite, follow through on the tetracyline instructions and begin adding salt to the tank at a rate of about 1 teaspoon every 12 hours until it has a ration of one tsp per gallon.

The tetracyclene can cure some bacterial disease, but will not treat actual fungus diseases, that is why you will need salt. It will also aid in ridding the tank of ich.

Treat the ich by raising the water temp 1 degree every 12 hours or so until it reaches 86 degrees.

There is a great sticky on this forum for treating ich.

Good luck and invest in a quarantine tank for future restocking. It will actually save you a lot of money in the long run.

Good luck.

Unless you have amonia and/or nitrite, you should not change 80% of water at once, that can make the tank cycle.

Absolutely untrue. Changing all of the water will not make the tank cycle. cycle. Regardless of whether there is ammonia or nitrite, a large water change will remove a large amount of any pathogens present in the tank. This will help the fish fight off any attacks (bacterial or fungal), and will aid any medicants used.

I agree that a huge water change will not automatically make a tank cycle.
However, with tetracyclene already in the water, which kills both good and bad bacteria, combined with the fact all the furniture in the tank has been sanitized, and possibly carbon removed from filter (most brands of tetracyclene recommend this) the beneficial bacteria in the tank is probably greatly reduced.

In my humble opinion and experience, I would not do 80% to start with if so much good bacteria is already compromised in the tank.

Since the nitrifying bacteria doesn't live in the water coloumn, no harm will be done with even changing all the water. Provided that the water is dechlorinated. If the antibiotic has compromised the nitrifying bacteria, a large water change is even more important to remove any ammonia that won't be processed.

cant change the temp, thermometer is automatic, i am going to do a water change today, Thanks!

That tetracyclene does stain the water.

How is the frog doing? Is it getting 100 fresh water everyday?

Back
Top Bottom