Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have 4 platys, 1 male 3 female. one female has just had approx 80 fry. on another female i found a redness and some scales sticking out slighty on one side only.
is this dropsey? any advise gratefully recieved, thanks.

may be able to add photo

ok, here's some photos from yesterday to today.

Any ideas? Very worried about her :(

if the scales are out on one side of the fish it is not dropsy but rather signs of a bacterial infection. Dropsy would be the entire fish sticking out. See if I can find you a website later.

Ok, found ya a good website on bacterial infections here

It is likely, if the scales are protruding on one side only and is red, like you said, that it is a bacterial infection. Dropsy is a fungal (and sometimes bacterial..depends on who you ask) infection. I recommend buying some anti-bacterial meds. You should have great luck with Maracyn. Is your fish eating by the way? If not, may want to go with maracyn-two, which treats gram-negative bacterial infections. HTH

Thanks for your help Devilishturtles. But unfortuantely, the platy died a few minutes ago :( I will save that link in my favourites and get hold of some Maracyn just in case.

Thanks for your help anyways :cry:

BTW is it wise to do a large water change now and is there any chance of the 80 or so fry or the 3 remaining adults can catch anything?

Sorry for your loss jons. If it has been a while since you did a water change, I would go ahead and change it. Keep an eye out for any signs of illness of the other fish. Since it seemed to be a bacterial infection, chances are strains could be in your water, so a water change is the safe thing to do. Sorry again for your loss... :cry:

We did a water change last weekend, but have done another smaller one today.

Man are we (me and the mrs) glad we joined this site, it is so helpful, and a great place to meet like people :)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom