dropsy cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed today that one of my mollies has developed dropsy :( is there anything I can do that doesn't involve medicating the tank as its a community tank and I've had bad experience with medications. I haven't got a qt tank either and would say I've got time to buy and cycle one?? Just incase its important....... 120l tank, mollies, guppies, swordtails, plecs, snails. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 25 - 30. I know the nitrates are high but they've always been there, can't seem to lower them?

dudeofrude said:
I noticed today that one of my mollies has developed dropsy :( is there anything I can do that doesn't involve medicating the tank as its a community tank and I've had bad experience with medications. I haven't got a qt tank either and would say I've got time to buy and cycle one?? Just incase its important....... 120l tank, mollies, guppies, swordtails, plecs, snails. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 25 - 30. I know the nitrates are high but they've always been there, can't seem to lower them?

Thanks but how can I make sure she eats it instead of the other fish?

Buy a breeding trap and get her in there. Only drop the medicine food for her and she'll be the only one eating it. Alternatively, I've used cups and tubs which I've pierced holes in and let float in the tank (to save you buying a breeding trap)

Looking at her this morning, the swelling has gone right down but her scales are still stuck out on her belly, what's more worrying is she's a pure white Molly but today ages covered in dark pink blotches?

Scales will probably continue to stick out for a bit. The only thing I can equate it to is imagine where all that skin has to go after a woman has been pregnant? Just kind of back on her belly. I imagine that the scales will start to go back to normal. Keep her isolated for another week maybe just to make sure she's not being pestered by male mollies for breeding (unless she's big and your breeding trap is small, because that will cause stress if she's kept overly long)

Back
Top Bottom