Dwarf Gourami Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a two blue dwarf gouramis and one sunset dwarf. The two blue ones are healthy as ever, great color and very active. My sunset, however, has been getting skinnier and now his head looks really large with a small body. he doesn't really eat or swim around and hangs by the bottom of the tank. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with him? All my other fish are healthy and I do regular water changes. I also have not added any new fish in months. I know I need to take him out incase whatever he has is infectious, but I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there any way to nurse him back to health or is he a goner? :cry:

They used to all chase each other around a little bit, but now that the sunset one is not active and hangs around the bottom, my two blue ones just pick on each other while they eat. Other than that i haven't noticed any bullying, because the sunset is pretty much in the corner and not in contact with anyone...

I think he is scared to move and the other ones will not let him eat. Do you have QC tank you can move him to?

No, but I read on another thread that I can use a clean bucket and add an air stone and a small heater. Would this be ok, without a filter or anything? How much of the water in the bucket should be from my tank?

Yes, that will work. If he starts to eat and recovers, you may want to returm him. 3 male dwarf gouramis in a ten gallon is very tight quarters.

It was too late.. he passed away before I could put him in a quarantine. 10 gallons would be tight quarters, but I actually have a 20 gallon long. I'm looking for a larger tank so I can get more fish. Budget is tight and I have had no luck so far.

Sorry for the loss. My apologies about tank size, I thought I saw you asking about a ten in another thread. I would still keep it at two males in that tank especially now that they are established.

That's ok. I definitely won't be getting any more gouramis. I might add an otto or cory or something in its place.

So sorry to hear about your loss. You might luck out on a tank with the local classified ads in your local newspaper or check with your local aquarium society.

I posted an ad on Craig's List, and I actually got a few responses. So hopefully I'll be able to get a 55 with some equipment within this next month! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom