Dwarf gourami- odd spot on forehead, spinning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few days ago, I noticed that my dwarf gourami had this odd pinkish spot on his forehead. He's always been skittish, but as of the last few days, whenever I go over to the tank, he spins in circles, seemingly uncontrollably. He'll end up wearing himself out or getting to close to something and stop. I think he's stressed out because of me being near the tank. As I said, he's got a pinkish dot on his head. I've heard of hole-in-the-head disease, but I have not had experience with it. I'll try to get some pictures up if I can.
My tank is 10 gallons, with a guppy, 2 juvie panda garras, and this guy.
I need to do a water change soon, but I'm worried it'll really stress him out.
Any ideas/diagnoses?
:thanks:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445044979.832647.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445045033.983507.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445045071.868690.jpg
These are the best pics I could get, my camera isn't great. I circled and pointed at the spot, but it's still hard to see. He doesn't look at the glass head-on very often, especially if I'm there ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Update- I came out this morning and glanced at the tank- he was lying on he ground. I took one step closer and he spazzed out, swimming in crazy corkscrews all over the place. What do I do!? I could take a video- can you post videos on here?
I'm looking at him now- he's lying on his side breathing heavily. ? Help!
Now he's corkscrewing again (he saw me) and he swims in continuous barrel rolls, almost. Can't get a clear view of his head.

I would say likely this is a case of DGIV.

It's a genetic disease that is specific to gourami. It's actually quite common.

It is also....incurable.

Caleb

Thanks ImACoolGuy. He's in really bad shape, I might just help him along. I think he's going to die anyway, no matter what it is. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks ImACoolGuy. He's in really bad shape, I might just help him along. I think he's going to die anyway, no matter what it is. Thanks again for your help!

Use Clove oil. Painless and quick.

Caleb

I use clove oil also. Sends them to sleep and they never feel a thing. The sticky for overview of euthanasia is quite informative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never heard of clove oil, I'll look into it. In the past I've done a cup of ice and a little water.

Never heard of clove oil, I'll look into it. In the past I've done a cup of ice and a little water.

I use the ice and water method myself.

A container of 1Qt. size and ice and water for 5 minutes before fish is installed leads to a 5-10 second end.
I choose container size depending on fish size.
Many small fish are going in the same 5-10 seconds in 16 oz cups.

Unfortunately this is part of 'keeping'(nothing last forever).

Ad sort of back to original post...
Pick another gourami after you research indovirus.
It is not only a gourami thing , although DGIVs the most known form.

Ok. I'll definitely look into it more. Thank you all for your help!

Sorry to bump the thread, but my DG seems better. I ran out of time on the day I decided to euthanize him, and the next day he's up and swimming, and the spot on his forehead is hardly there. He still spins, but not the crazy corkscrews. Should I wait it out? I'd feel bad putting him to sleep if he seems okay.

I'd wait. What can it hurt I guess. Maybe he will make more of a recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Honestly if it is dgiv, then there is no recovery. And if he is still spinning at all then that's no way to live. Its up to you and I totally understand giving him the best hope at survival. I guess I've just seen a few too many of these dgiv threads to expect a comeback but I can't blame you for trying. Best of luck!

Something tells me with him being MORE active now that it's not DGIV...

If it was DGIV he would continue to weaken not be more active.

Me thinks that spot on his head may just be an injury from running into something, in turn messed with his swim bladder and now he's spinny.

It's a long shot but seems more viable than DGIV now..

Caleb

Ok. Thank you. He hasn't been spinning as much, actually. I don't know. Maybe he did run into something? I'll keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom