Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dwarf Puffer Swimming Erratically - Problem?

I recently got this guy and set up a 10 gal for him. I have only had him 5 days. He was doing great, awesome appetite (bloodworms), like a 1" long puppy with fins. Now he's swimming very erratically. I am fixing to do a quarter water change to see if that changes things.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a bad bacterial infection. Doubt he'll make it. I would take back and get another if its not too late, or simply euthanize.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It could also be the water parameters. When you setup this tank, did you cycle it before adding the puffer? If not, you should read up on the nitrification cycle fish tanks go through and their affects on fish. Also, make sure you do your research on any fish before buying. Some ďfreshwaterĒ puffers actually need brackish water to survive.

If you don't have one already, I highly recommend buying an API water test kit to keep track of the parameters. It's much more accurate than the strips.

Good luck. I hope your fish puppy pulls through. :\

Tags
dwarf, dwarf puffer, problem, puffer, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com