Eek! I've got ich -or "So that's why you quarantine!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sushisnake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a thankyou story :).
On the 29/1/12, I was given two platys. I didn't quarantine them, I was ignorant then. Yesterday, one of the platys was sporting tiny white spots on it's tail, like grains of salt or fine, white sugar.
A couple of kuhlis also seemed to have been lightly sugar dusted - hard to tell because they move so fast - but their colour was certainly muted.
Thanks to AA, I knew I was looking at ich. And I knew what to do. In went the heater, airstone, gravel vac and salt. Out went gravel muck, 50% of the tank water and the live and artificial plants for disinfection.
Up went my adrenalin levels which resulted in an unintentional salt dip for everyone because I misread 5 teaspoons per 5 gallons as 5 tablespoons :facepalm:- but luckily the apple snail let me know I'd goofed by shutting up shop- so out went another 50% of the tank water and in went a brand new hydrometer purchased on the fly. Up went the temperature to 86 F.
Everyone got pretty lively. One of the infected kuhlis started swimming and twining with another kuhli. I do wonder if the ich was itchy and gave it a mortal itch to scratch - populate or die.
I went to work and kept my fingers crossed.
Today, the platys spots are gone. I haven't seen the kuhlis yet. Too early in the day. The heater crept up to 89 F overnight when I was at work, but everyone seems OK. I've done another 50% wc and will keep the temperature down to 86 F tonight.
I know it's extremely early days yet. I know I have 2 weeks minimum of treatment before we're OK.
But I'm CONFIDENT! I'm EMPOWERED! I CAN HELP MY FISH!
Thank you!

Thanks Holly. I seriously and literally couldn't have got here without AA. Right down to knowing what was going on when the snail shut up shop- I was THAT ignorant.There really is no sustitute for knowledge and I've been blessed to find hundreds of mentors.

Back
Top Bottom