Electric Blue Acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joethechickn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My electric blue Acara has been acting weird lately. He won't eat any food that I put in. He mostly sits on the sand discolored like in the pics. What might be the cause of this?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447198050.827550.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447198116.328957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks pretty bad, let's have all.the details. Tank size,age, parameters, mates, etc..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 55 gallon fully planted tank. He's probably about a year and a half to two years old. He's in the tank with 4 angels, 4 khuli loaches, 1 bushynose pleco, 3 Cory cats, and 2 bumble bee gobys. I do a water change every 2 weeks or every week and a half and the light is on for about 6-7 hours a day and I feed them once a day micro wafers and freeze dried blood worms. I've tried tons of different cichlid foods and he spits them all out

How much water changed? You test nitrates?

About 50% water changes and the nitrates are fine

About 50% water changes and the nitrates are fine

You say.... truth?? what are your readings?
* these are your fish, I care as much as you'll let me.. i do have Eba and I value them..

My nitrites readings are about 5-10 ppm. I am very consistent with my water changes and the tank is heavily planted

My nitrites readings are about 5-10 ppm. I am very consistent with my water changes and the tank is heavily planted

Trates?? Or trite?

The Angels are definitely not spawning. He seems to be sad but other times he is swimming around the tank and seems to be doing fine but then the next minute he will be laying on the sand so I'm not sure what to think

The Angels are definitely not spawning. He seems to be sad but other times he is swimming around the tank and seems to be doing fine but then the next minute he will be laying on the sand so I'm not sure what to think

What do the water tests say??

I had a similar issue with mine a while ago. My thought was he ate something he shouldn't have like an mts and was having trouble passing it.
Could this be possible.
Is the stomach sucked in?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That could be possible and his stomach does seem to be sucked in, but I wasn't sure if that was because he wasn't eating. I had given him a Epsom salt bath when he first started acting weird, hoping that would do the trick, but I didn't notice a difference

That could be possible and his stomach does seem to be sucked in, but I wasn't sure if that was because he wasn't eating. I had given him a Epsom salt bath when he first started acting weird, hoping that would do the trick, but I didn't notice a difference

I added epson to the tank in a small amount. Eventually he seemed to pass whatever it was (still think the dummy swallowed an MTS) and was back to normal. His anus area was also very swollen looking now that I recall.
Hope yours ends up the same.
Sucked in stomach could also mean parasites supposedly. Have you introduced anything new to the tank that could have brought them in?

I dont think I have very many Mts in the tank if any but he might have eaten something else he shouldn't have. I haven't added anything to the tank in a few months that could have introduced parasites, but I might try another Epsom salt dose and see if that works

Back
Top Bottom