emergency question -- worm in gill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenayaisapunkrocker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my fish has a worm sticking out of his gill he didnt eat today should i try again or wait till tomarrow when hes hungry and feed him his meds that i dont have yet but will wake up early to get or is he pretty much done and theres nothing i can do

I got a fish from a chain store once that had some worms. Jungle Parasite Clear took care of it. If he's already not eating though, then you may have an issue.

You need to get an interal parasite med that he eats I believe. Puffers are more suseptible to parasites and other problems than other fish. :(

Actually Jungle Anti-Parasite food is the one I would try to feed to the fish. It has Praziquental, Levamazol & metronidazole, should take care of most worms & internal parasites. <Parasite Clear is one you add to the water, good for external stuff like ich, not too good for worms.>

I don't know enough about puffers to say for sure. Certainly in goldies, if you see a worm sticking out, I would be sedating the fish & remove the worm with tweezers. Also, removing the worm & looking at it will aid in diagnosis, as some worms (like anchor worm) need different treatment. <Anchor worms are actually crustaceans so won't be killed by the anti-parasite meds --- which are targeted towards true worms (helmeths).>

It's probably an anchor worm. Isolate the fish immediately. I had a rainbow with an anchor worm that infected my other fish and killed a few of them. API General Cure finally took care of the worms.

Back
Top Bottom