Blood in fin and Gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fairfish Lady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a goldfish (Joe) I’ve had for 3 years, I got him at the fair, and he’s lived his life with his tank mate (Edgar) in a 20g tank. I recently had to transfer the two into my 55g tank because my 20g tank where they were, started leaking. This was also around the time I got more fish from the fair and since I had one tank out of commission they all went in the 55g. I know it was way over crowded but it was temporary until I got a new tank(s) and I learned my lesson to act faster on getting a new tanks because I believe he got VERY stressed about. He had blood in his fins and gills and his dorsal fin would clamp down often and he wouldn’t always use one of his pectoral fins. I ended up using the 10g I use to hold the fish when cleaning the other tank to separate Joe from the others and I did give him the 5 day Tetra Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment. I know there are mixed reviews on this product but I couldn’t find very solid answers as to what exactly was going on with him so I decided to take a chance...and I’m happy he did because he cleared up within the 5 days. I don’t know if it’s because I was treating him or if he had some time to chill but nonetheless he is doing just fine now, all fine are working properly, and no blood to be seen. I have now had time to get a 36g for both Joe and Edgar.
I am posting this to get feed back about what I did wrong so if this ever happens again I will know how to properly treat it? What was going on with him? Was he just stressed?

I have two photos of Joe when he was showing symptoms and then a now picture of him and Edgar in the new 36g tank

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 71DC2F3A-A4CB-4507-BF86-E10577B7A276.jpg
    71DC2F3A-A4CB-4507-BF86-E10577B7A276.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 58DE6A8D-B892-462A-8732-02B4F342708F.jpg
    58DE6A8D-B892-462A-8732-02B4F342708F.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 7DD6DE3E-0BD1-4EC6-9873-AABF3F9EA4E3.jpg
    7DD6DE3E-0BD1-4EC6-9873-AABF3F9EA4E3.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 23
It was probably water parameter and stress of the new fish. When you added new fish, if your filter media was cycled and full of BB / beneficial bacteria, it wouldn't have been enough probably for the increase in feeding and waste from the fish. So the parameters probably maxed out and went well beyond the safe zone.

Additional fish creating stress, when he was used to his one swimming pal (maybe he is a bit more sensitive to activity than his tank mate), and ammonia rising could have made him more susceptible to illness.

I would keep track of ammonia and nitrIte for awhile in both tanks. To make sure it is stable and back on track for the long term.

You probably know about the nitrification cycle, but if you need more info, the Aquarium Advice article linked in my signature can be very useful and is a good reference with helpful tips about not changing filter pads and not rinsing them in tap water. Also in case anyone reading this in the future needs some help.

Thank you this helps a lot! And I do test my other tank’s ammonia currently but I will start testing both! It definitely won’t hurt :)

When there is a new set up, using new substrate if you have it, and a new filter if you got a new tank even if sharing the original media, always can be a bit of a balance don't feed too much, feed enough, clean frequently, plenty of water changes.

Congrats on the new fish additions.

Back
Top Bottom