Fantail goldfish question? Possible sickness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsyfishes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! So I have a question, my fan tail goldfish acts very strangely... he will swim in very fast, almost seizure like way looking from one side to the other. He has some scales missing, and does the whole *yawning* thing. I really thought nothing of his odd behavior untill I started looking online at fish care stuff, my mother bought me Jungle parasite clear fizz tabs because they were on sale, if I am to use these would it be okay? Just to be safe?

Welcome to AA! Can you provide some more info so we can better help you? Tank size? Stocking? Water parameters? Water change schedule? Are you using any type of chemicals beyond water conditioner? Thanks!!

It is a 30 gal tank, he has a few tank mates~2 peco's and 3 or so feeder guppies. I do a 40 % Water change every week, not sure what water parameters would be T___T "Kinda newbie"
I put a few teaspoons aquarium salt with every water change, following with some ammonia sorb and ph decreaser.

Your parameters would be very helpful here (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph). Amazon has the API fw master test kits for under $20 which is very affordable compared to most lfs. Are you using a water conditioner? How long has the tank been running with fish? Next, stop adding the salt and the ph chemicals- they are not necessary and are likely a factor in the flashing and rubbing and erratic behavior.

Are the missing scales single random scales or patches/marks? There may be more to this than meets the eye here. Are the plecos common plecos? How big are they?

Yawning is a classic sign of gill irritation and indicates the possible presence of flukes which are the most common parasite affecting goldfish. Praziquantel is a safe and effective med for treating them. The product you have has prazi in it but I do not know how much. Treating flukes is a lengthy process though and you will need enough meds to treat for atleast 4 weeks. Prazipro (made by Hikari) is also available on Amazon at a reasonable price. Please ask if you have questions! :)

The tank has been running with fish for about 1 month, the salt is because there was just a bacterial problem when my violet goby got that cotton wool disease, I do not yet have a hospital tank, but I will be starting a job on Monday so I am going to invest in one. I cleaned the whole tank and treated it for the cotton bacteria disease and everything has been fine. Been doing regular water changes to avoid any possible bacteria. I do have water conditioner, should I be using it when I change the water?
The scales missing on the goldfish are exactly the same on each side, one scale then a little patch of scales on his belly, I think it may have been from a rock? They are normal plecos, one is about 7 inches the other is about 2. I am investing in a larger tank soon to meet the plecos needs and everyone in the tank.
I can get a API kit when I get paid, but, just looking for some advice before then :)
I HAD three gars in the tank prior to the goldfish coming in and they passed away due to a mean african chiclid "which also died during combat"
Before the goldfish "his name is Courage btw", came into the big tank he had his own with the 2 inch pleco, and still acted like this. And I didn't treat that tank at all with anything, when I got him a year ago he was missing scales then too. I don't know if it's just the fish but right now I put in the required dose for the parasite clear and everyone is doing fine, Courage is swimming a little more normal.

Ok, your post has me a bit confused. You have only had the tank running for a month but you have had numerous fish that did not survive? Perhaps I misunderstand your post though. I am wondering if your plecos are causing issues here with your goldie as well in addition to issues with water quality and possible parasites. Keep us posted on how things are going and if you have further questions!

Did forget one thing- water conditioner/dehclorinator should be used to treat any new water with every single water change. If you are not using it, then your fish may be reacting to chorine/chloramine in your water.

Back
Top Bottom