Fat bloated humpback platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sagaciousb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
Any ideas what is up with this fish? It has been getting more and more fat/bloated on one side of its back. Other than that, it acts totally normal, basically the most healthy fish in the tank. I really don't think it is dropsy, from photos I've seen of that.

It looks like it just needs to be popped or drained. I suspect trying that is a bad idea.

Spine looks a bit curved as well. I'm at a loss.
Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0345.jpg
    IMAG0345.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 731
  • IMAG0352.jpg
    IMAG0352.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,917
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 649
I'm so sorry to break it to you, but that fish might have dropsy. There is no cure,... and its fatal. Please, if anything move it into a separate tank for the rest of its time to prevent dropsy bacteria spreading and infecting othe fish.:(

Hmm. How long does dropsy usually take to set in? Unfortunately, none of the articles I found online mention timeframes. I think this fish has started showing signs of this bulbous fat for maybe 6-8months or so.

It seems that dropsy may not always be bacterial, and, even if it is, may not be contagious.

Ok, first of all, did u get him/her like this

I would say tumor probably..
If you hadn't had her so long I might think organ failure ,but 6-8 months is too long IMO.
Although possibly no big concern for other fish in tank as probably not contagious like it is many infections/issues are spread best when the infected fish dies and others pick on it...
I might start to consider euthanizing the fish. Just me though ,I know others would keep fish till the end..
Very interesting pictures.

It really does look like fluid build up... at worst if you are considering euthanasia I'd see if popping it would actually work first, just in case. If not just see how it goes I guess, but if it keeps gerring bigger it'll stop eating or have problems swimming

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm, it seems unlikely to be egg bound, since the bloating is along its back, not in its abdomen. At least, other photos I've looked at of "egg bound" seem to be the abdomen.

And no, I did not get the fish like this - it slowly got more and more blistered.
Like I said, it isn't showing any signs of distress, so euthanasia doesn't seem justified unless I was for some reason concerned about the other fish in the tank. I suppose if it does show some bad behavioral signs I could attempt some antibiotics or a pin prick. Eep!

Back
Top Bottom