Fin Fray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
My bettas fins frayed overnight. Yesterday he looked fine and today they look shredded. There are no plastic plants in the tank, nor other fish so what could be causing this and how can I fix it.

Can you get a couple more pictures? Are you sure his fins weren't like that when you got him? From what I see, it looks like a normal betta tail to me.

No its not normal for my betta. His fins used to be rounded. The odd thing is, on most fin rot descriptions, the fins are said to have a back or white lining on the edges. My betta doesnt have this.

What are your water params (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, ph)? Have they been this way for a while?

And what's your maintenence routine?

Until a betta keeper emerges with answers, please answer these Qs:
Answer these Qs:
~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp)?
~ How large is the tank?
~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
~How long have you had the fish?
~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlor, new substrate, etc.?
BTW--your betta is gorgeous!

Thanks, Menagerie, I was going to ask those same questions!

A big factor for me, when one of my previous bettas had fin rot, was temperature fluctuations. Bowl temps often fluctuate more than a tank with a heater.

Only once did I see a black piece of fin when my betta had finrot. Usually it's just frayed-looking. When it starts to heal, the edge often turns whitish. My betta tore himself up a little, playing in the sponge filter bubbles. I didn't add any meds, because it wasn't really fin rot, just torn, and he's healing well now.

Without knowing details of what happened, or what your parameters are, I would say just watch him, and do a few extra water changes to keep the water clean so infection won't set in.

sugarloves, your betta is gorgeous! He could almost be a twin of my betta :)

I think he may have been really stressed because that night before I left I put my adf's tank right beside him. They dont like eachother and I wasnt thinking when I was doing this. I figure they could see eachother through the glass and Unfaithful (my betta) was getting quite upset. Since the day I noticed the frayed fins The fraying seems to have gotten a lot better.... :?: .....Maybe its healing or maybe the frayed ends are just shrinking making them appear smaller. Anyways, I went out and bought some betta fix, I cant think of the brand name off hand. It claims to be a natural product to treat betta problems including fin rot. Hopefully he will get better.

BTW, in the pet store I was looking at the fish and almost half of the betta's in their holders appeared to have fin rot! 8O I couldnt believe it! I didnt ask though, prehaps the tank is on QT. Usually my pet store is good about keeping its fish healthy. I saw a beautif pale blue and purple betta there that I just have to have. His fins appeared to be ok and he looked quite healthy. I think I will go get him tomorrow. God, I can help it, IM ADDICTED! :D

Just keep in mind that even though that one isn't showing signs, he may very well have what the other bettas in that store have. You are risking bringing infection into your tank unless you are planning on QT'ing him.

-brent

Yes, definitely QT all new fish, even if they will be going into a tank by themselves.

My betta (the one that looks like yours, sugarloves -- maybe they are twins!) got very excitable/stressed and gave himself torn fins before. He's done it twice now. The first time, he saw his "brother" (my other betta in the adjacent tank) and swam around so fast he tore his tail. I have to keep newspaper taped to the tank side, so they can't see each other anymore. The other betta could have cared less. Then the second time, for some reason, he wouldn't stay out of the bubbles coming from the sponge filter. I tried to distract him, but he still managed to tear his fins. So it can happen -- fins tearing from stress. I didn't medicate, and he's healing fine.

If you treat with BettaFix, be sure to watch him closely for stress also. Some people say BettaFix works and some say that it causes more stress. Labyrinth fish seem to be sensitive to its ingredients. So give it a try, but just be prepared to do a big water change if necessary -- if the betta appears listless, gasps at the surface, or shows other signs of discomfort.

I agree. It's probably just from flaring at your ADF. Their fins tear quite easily, and I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep him away from anyone else for the time being, and I wouldn't worry about going crazy on meds. If they're torn from flaring, they will heal by themselves. Keep an eye on him though. If it gets worse again, then you should consider the fin rot, but I don't think it is. Not if it happened when you put him next to your ADF. Good luck!

He is definately beautiful!! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom