Fin nipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a GBR that seems to be nipping on the fins of my neon tetras. How can I stop this? Is there a way to stop it without removing the tetras?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just one gbr? A pair perhaps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am planning on getting a male soon. Do you think that would calm her down a bit?

I have a GBR that seems to be nipping on the fins of my neon tetras. How can I stop this? Is there a way to stop it without removing the tetras?

How large is the tank ?
How heavily planted ?
Caves ?

Can you post a Full tank shot ?

How large is the tank ?
How heavily planted ?
Caves ?

Can you post a Full tank shot ?

The tanks is 10g. The plants are beginning to grow more, and fill in, but it's a slow process. Now that I look at the picture I realize how sparsely planted it truly is. Perhaps I should add some more... That might help.

There's a fairly large cave under the driftwood. Large enough that several of the fish can fit in there all at once.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421267658.871768.jpg

GBR are territorial. Did you research before you bought yours ?
Minimum recommended tank size for GBRs is I believe a 20Long.

If you can't get a bigger tank, I would rethink your stock.

Mollies need 30g or larger. They hit 3" or more. And are VERY active swimmers.

Rams hit 3".

Neons are typically recommended on this site for 20g or bigger for swimming room and to accommodate larger schools.

The Neons could stay.

The other fish won't thrive in a 10g.
Sorry...

I was told that the Molly would help with a previous Hydra problem I had, but that turned out to be false. At least in my case it was. So I'm planning on taking it back for store credit.

I do plan on upgrading fairly soon, I'm just getting together the money I need to get all the equipment! For the meantime though, I'll get some more plants and caves! I just moved around a few of the plants to make it a bit more dense in some areas and made a deeper cave under the DW and a tunnel using the rock and the GBR seems to be a lot happier.

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely try to get at least a 20 soon! I'm heading to college in a few months and think the max size they allow is 25. So maybe that's what I'll do.

That tank is gorgeous! What were those little red finned fish? They look beautiful! I'm so jealous of how lush your tank is. Hopefully I'll get there one day

Back
Top Bottom