fin rot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy c

Aquarium Advice Freak
i noticed a fish of mine acting weird, shy and hiding. noticed it had a stubby tail. transfered it to a sick tank. next day its tail looked fine and i thought i was just seeing things... next thing i know i have about 20 fry in the tank with it. Noticed another fish had fry aswell. added it to the hospital tank (20gal). after a few days of the 2 adult fish and 30+ fry the 1st adult got the stubby tail. next day it was worse. added melflex to treat and the 3rd day he was dead.

any idea why this killed it so quick? should i be worried about the fry or other adult? all look well. I suspected something about 1 week to 2 weeks prior but looked ok then within 3 days dead...

p.s. it was a Auratus

just went in to feed the fish and noticed that the other adult is dead laying in the bottom of the tank.

if the tank had something wrong with it wouldnt the fry be the 1st to die off? coinsidering they are so small and new??

are these fairly new additions? im not sure why, but out of 3 batches of auratus that i've purchased, only 2 of the 9 have survived. All the other fish are doing great. Not sure if that helps any though. Fin rot, as im sure you know, is easily curable with clean water (daily pwc's)... the melafix wont hurt anything. What are your water tests looking like?

well, i have had these for @ least 6 months+. a few months back i had problems in the tank (my 72 gal) but since i have added in the crushed coral ive been doing good. not any deaths in months. the hospital tank (20 gal where they died) is a mess due to crushing up the flake food for the fry to eat. i did a partial water change lastweek and refilling it with water from the 72 gal. ill have to do a watertest tomorrow and see what comes up.

just kinda weird they had the fry then died in the same tank as the fry and the fry are all ok :S

Back
Top Bottom