Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticHooper23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guppy has Fin Rot and look like he is on the verge of dying, can't swim anymore but he's a fighter and doesn't give up. What's a good easy way to euthanize him? It's painful to watch.

Also my other male guppy is showing signs of Fin Rot, what do I do to cure it and fix it? I don't want this guppy to die too... Quick help please.

Thanks.

Is this a new tank? What are the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? What size tank and what fish do you have? How often do you do water changes? FIn rot is usually a sign of poor water quality.

No it's not a new tank, it's been up since October. But i just recently addedIt has 4 Guppys 3 female and 1 male. 4 Ghost shrimp. Has an Anubias and dwarf hairgrass.

When I checked yesterday it was:
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0.10

And i usually do a 35% a week, but since I added these guys I've been doing 25% a day.

25% a day is quite rough don't you think?
I would suggest 50% bi-weekly. As librarygirl said, it's a sign of poor water quality. If these are new guppy's, my thought would be they already had it, but at an not advanced stage, so it was merely visible. There are medication for this, but fungus might also be another problem. I heard clove oil and vodka is good as a euthanize alternative. If not, hitting it in a specific spot works to. But i wouldn't abandon if you have hopes for him.

Right now, I have a black moor who is on the road to recovery. I treated him with some anti-fungal medicine, stopped the infection from spreading closer to his body( it's on his tail) and now I'm treating him with Melafix to help him grow his tail back.

Right now, I have a black moor who is on the road to recovery. I treated him with some anti-fungal medicine, stopped the infection from spreading closer to his body( it's on his tail) and now I'm treating him with Melafix to help him grow his tail back.
I heard melafix wasn't very effective.

You guys think 45% twice a week is good enough? What if there is an ammonia spike, shouldn't you change it more often? I was only going to do this for the first week or so. Sadly both of my male Guppys has past on. At least I still have 3 females who are all pregnant. (What a surprise there) lol.

You guys think 45% twice a week is good enough? What if there is an ammonia spike, shouldn't you change it more often? I was only going to do this for the first week or so. Sadly both of my male Guppys has past on. At least I still have 3 females who are all pregnant. (What a surprise there) lol.
If you see spikes then change 75 percent of the water depending on the severity of it. Atm, 45 should be good to regulate it.

My telescopic eye had fin rot and on the verge of dying. Today he is all better. Get maracyn and maracyn 2.

Back
Top Bottom