First case of ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy04

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed some of my fish have white spots on their fins and bodies about two days ago. So far I've done a 25% water change, slowly raising the temp, about 85F now, added an air stone and added about 10 tsb of kosher salt. I'm curious as to what meds I should use if the salt and heat method doesn't work. My tank is stocked with:

12 - cardinal tetras, spots
9 - rummy nose tetra, spots
3 - ottos, no spots
8 - Sterbai Cory's, no spots
4 - german blue rams, no spots

It doesn't seem like an extreme case as their aren't a lot of spots on the ones that have it. Just want to know what meds to stay away from due to some of my fish being sensitive. Also any other pointers or suggestions are welcome. I want to limit the loss of fish especially when it comes to the GBR's and Cory's. Currently all the fish seem to be doing well and activity in the tank has definitely increased.

I'd stick with heat and waterchanges. I used to have a giant essay that I would copy and paste in ich threads. Now I can't even remember what to do...

Sounds good....how often/ how much should my water changes be? Also the rams have only been in the tank for 4-5 days and I don't want to stress them out. If you do come across your essay please post it, I'd love to read it

I think you leave the heat up for a week after you see the last spot disappear. Then you do lots of water changes.... I think. Can't remember. I hope someone else chimes in!

I treated ich with heat, I changed 50% every second day including gravel vac. I added an airstone and lowered my water level to help with oxygen and yes keep the heat up for a week after the last spot. Good luck :)

I treated ich with heat, I changed 50% every second day including gravel vac. I added an airstone and lowered my water level to help with oxygen and yes keep the heat up for a week after the last spot. Good luck :)

Sounds good, so you didn't add any salt?

If the fish can tolerate salt you can do:

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons everyday dissolved in a cup of tank water.

Every 2nd day do a 50% water change and clean the gravel or sand as decor.

Raise temp to 86 degrees over a period of time.

When you do your water changes add salt ONLY for the amount of water added.

Lower your water level to help oxygenate the water. Higher heat means less oxygen. You can also add an air stone as mentioned.

Good luck!!

If the fish can tolerate salt you can do:

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons everyday dissolved in a cup of tank water.

Every 2nd day do a 50% water change and clean the gravel or sand as decor.

Raise temp to 86 degrees over a period of time.

When you do your water changes add salt ONLY for the amount of water added.

Lower your water level to help oxygenate the water. Higher heat means less oxygen. You can also add an air stone as mentioned.

Good luck!!

Ok, is kosher salt ok to use? I've put about 10 tsp in yesterday. Also for how many days do I keep adding salt?

Thank you for the help, how many days should I do it for?

10-14 days and treat at least 3 days after they all look clear. It could take longer though. The key (and I'm just learning myself as this is my first bout with ich) is to watch your fish and study them carefully. Look for spots. If they all are clear then treat 3 more days after that.

Back
Top Bottom