First Fatality: Juvenile Peppered Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I lost my first Cory this morning. I have no idea what happened, and am hoping someone here might know.

Last night, everyone seemed healthy, swimming, scavenging, etc. This morning I find one juvenile peppered cory lying belly-up (dead) on the substrate. It looks like he has a red wound 2-3mm in size near the front of his belly, and his gills are red. I haven't seen any aggression in the tank, and enough of the food seems to sink to the bottom that they shouldn't be starving.

Everything else in my tank appears healthy.

Here's a brief overview, as it's a new setup:
20g Aquarium, pea gravel substrate (no sharp bits that i can see), mix of live and silk plants. 6 Dwarf Spotted Danios, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Red Platies, 4 (now 3) Peppered Cories.

Levels are stable: Ammonia =0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = between 10-20, Ph 7.4. All with an API Master Test Kit.

Recent changes:
Oct 10: added 6 Danios and cycled tank.
Nov 7: Tank started recording 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites started the next day
Nov 11: added 4 Cories
Nov 17: added 1 Dwarf Gourami
Nov 26: added 2 Red Platies, a Wisteria plant, an Amazon Sword Plant
Nov 30: one dead Cory
I've been testing levels daily, and 3 or 4 days after adding the Cories and Gourami, the Ammonia has gone to .25 for a day before settling back to 0. Hasn't happened yet since adding the Platties. I assume this was just my tank adjusting for the added fish, and don't expect a 1-day reading of .25 would poison the Cory. Especially just one of them...

Any help would really be appreciated. Hopefully I can avoid repeating whatever happened, or address any disease that might have been the killer (although with that bellywound, i'm not thinking disease).

That is a lot in a 20 gallon, I would switch to sand if possible. I know people love to say they do fine on gravel, but to see your cories on sand makes it all worth it! I was strictly a gravel person for a LONG while, now I only do sand. I am not sure what caused him to die suddenly, the wound could have happend from him getting stuck some where and pulling free, a fight with someone in the tank. Most likely he poked himself on something.

Thanks Oceangirl.
I'm thinking about changing to sand. The gravel isn't sharp, but it's dark purple. Sometimes the Cories are hard to see. I'm probably upgrading to a 40G tank in the new year, so i might just wait until then to change the substrate.

As for the wound, I think i've figured it out. A decoration had a plastic leaf that had been clipped off, but some of the stalk remained. Considering I found him right beside the decoration, I have a feeling he stabbed himself with the plastic stalk. I've cut it out completely, and checked all other decorations for sharp bits.

It was all my fault. :(

But a good reminder: CHECK YOUR DECORATIONS FOR SHARP BITS!

use a panty hose? Ho is one I guess:lol:? Rub it across the decor or edges, if it catches it can cause fish injuries.

Back
Top Bottom