Fish Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tangere

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a cycled 30g tank setup with 4 balloon mollies (was 6,) 2 danios, 3 corydoras, and an outbreak of snails. Yesterday morning I woke up to find my male mollie floating at the top. Thinking he may have just died of natural causes, I was upset to find one of my female mollies dead under a plant, obviously having been there a couple of days and munched on by corys. I took the lid off and scrubbed off some green algae with hot salt water, and then did a 45% water change and gravel vacuum. However, I am very worried about my other fish. Water parameters tested normal, my water is hard but I don't think that is a problem. Heater is functional, but used, and the temp feels a little different every time I touch the water. I thought this was just a function of it turning itself off when the desired temperature is stable, and isn't an extreme change. I have yet to change the filter media, as it has only been a couple of months since I set up the tank, and I was afraid of hurting the cycling process. Now one of my smallest females is sucking bubbles at the top and sliding her sides and belly along the glass, and just overall looks kind of droopy. I didn't see any parasites on the males body. I do have a couple of bottles with malachite green and formalin, but am hesitant to introduce chemicals to my tank. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful!

What are the water parameters and what do you use to test? What kind of filter and decholor do you use?

Great questions.

How often do you change the water in your tank as well, and what temperature do you have the tank set at. Also, how long have you had the fish?

Testing the temp with your hand isn't really accurate... you need a thermometer.

Agree with the above questions.

You can rinse the filter media in dechlor'd water/tank water (after it's pulled out for a PWC), BTW. Don't need to change it until it's impeding water flow or falling apart basically.

Back
Top Bottom