Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish deaths

Hi I've had 2 deaths of healthy angels in 2 months. 40 gal tank. 3 angels and 1 pleco. All about 8 months old. All has been well, until 1.5 mth ago one angel
Died. Yesterday 2nd angel
Died. I noticed that he was stating at the bottom of the tank and not eating. Very unusual. Swimming from one side of the tank to the other, almost like he was confused. Dead one day later. His gills were red, but that's also how they look normally. I'm down to one angel and one pleco. I'd really like to keep them alive. I'm thinking intestinal parasites? No other signs of anything. Tank parameters are good. Temp at 80-82. Diet dried bloodworms and flake food alternated. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you actually check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate level? Red gills can often mean ammonia poisoning I know you said they were normally red but it could have been that it took a while for the ammonia poisoning to actually be enough to kill them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ammonia is mostly at .25. Sometimes goes up to .5, sometimes drops to 0. Weekly 25% water changes but some weeks every other week.

It was a solid white/clear angel which is why I thought maybe the red gills were normal for that color/type of fish.

Tags
death, deaths, eat, fish, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com