Fish dying!!!! Why!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess technically we started buying fish the 4th of august (so a little over a week ago). We didnt add all the fish at the same time but probably within 3 days. We didnt have any deaths until 3 or 4 days ago. We had tested water before adding fish and then tested the water daily after our first fish death.
I still think they are sick with something. Small white dot on their fins.. Like the size of a grain of salt.
I am very new to this though so not sure.

We currently have...

1 black neon
6 neon tetras
5 oto cats

The rest have died.

Talk about super depressing...... Im almost scared to try again in the future. (Dont worry i am not trying to add more anytime in the near future).

Post some pics. Move the fish to quarantine. If its ich, then increase the temp to about 86°F increasing the temp every few hours till it reaches 86. Understand the disease to be able to treat it.
Cause, Treatment, and Prevention of Ich in Freshwater Fish

Nitrates are also an issue for german blue rams. They're very sensitive to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It sounds like ich from what you said. If that is what it is, you need to treat it asap. There is no point in quarantining a fish with ich at this point because they all would likely have been exposed at the the store, and all probably have it. Just treat the tank and hope for the best.
The fish died because they were sick when you got them, not because you did something wrong. If you went someplace with a guarantee, I would take them your fish bodies, a water sample, and your receipt.
Transport can be tough on fish, so if you have fish that have been diseased and then transported multiple times, it is quite possible for them to die through no fault of your own. They are all compatible, and your params are good. So, I am sorry for your rotten luck.
I have better luck at some stores than others. I have a few stores where all the fish die within days to months, and some that have great stock.

If the tetras are appearing to bounce with their tail fin towards the ground it could be neon tetra disease. When I go to change stores I never buy fish or plants. I just look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you sure you have an oto cat? B/c some other fish that look exactly like otos are very territorial & aggressive and kill other fish.

( tonight I was told I was buying an oto and when I got home and looked at the receipt it said Flying Fox. Big difference in adult size and temperament.)

This page can help you determine if you have a real oto. http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom