Fish gasping for air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a 50% water change yesterday and my fish are gasping for air and swimming to the top to trying to get a gulp of air. What can I do? My flamemouth is about dead already, swimming upside down.

24 gallon nanocube
I did a 50% water change yesterday.

Thanks

do yourself a favor, have your test parameters ready i promise you will be asked, what kind af other fish are in there? how long has the tank been running? and why did you change 50% water? particular reason or just maintenece?

I check the PH and Amonia and they were good, The fish all started acting funny, not eating and such. There was a ton of algee which I tried to treat. So, I decided to do a 50% water change. The only remaining fish alive is my Jack Dempsy. I took him out and put him in a seperate container and he seems to be doing good. I'm not sure how to further treat the water.

Thanks tons

Larman said:
There was a ton of algee which I tried to treat.

Enough said.

Next time you should be a LOT more forthcoming with information that would enable us to help you.

first of all, welcome to AA!!
A few things could be going on in your tank. First, when you say your ammonia was good, was it reading zero? And also you need to check nitrite and nitrate, nitrite more importantly. Second, algae treatments usually contain copper, and copper is toxic to fish. It casuses the O2 to drop, hence your fish gasping at the surface. Plus as the algae dies it will consume even more O2.
If your nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia are all in check (ammonia should be 0, nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be no higher than 80), then I would suspect copper poisoining with the info I have. You should just break down this tank and start over. Clean it out thoroughly to remove all copper and any other toxins.
And remember, algae isn't toxic to fish, but algae treatments usually are. Using algae treatments doesn't solve the problem, it just masks the symptoms.

dr_girlfriend said:
first of all, welcome to AA!!
A few things could be going on in your tank. First, when you say your ammonia was good, was it reading zero? And also you need to check nitrite and nitrate, nitrite more importantly. Second, algae treatments usually contain copper, and copper is toxic to fish. It casuses the O2 to drop, hence your fish gasping at the surface. Plus as the algae dies it will consume even more O2.
If your nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia are all in check (ammonia should be 0, nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be no higher than 80), then I would suspect copper poisoining with the info I have. You should just break down this tank and start over. Clean it out thoroughly to remove all copper and any other toxins.
And remember, algae isn't toxic to fish, but algae treatments usually are. Using algae treatments doesn't solve the problem, it just masks the symptoms.

Thanks for the info! I take it there are seperate kits to test Nitrates? Yes the Ammonia was 0.
What I ended up doing is taking all the fish out, putting them in a seperate bowl, going to a fish store and buying a small pump, hose and aerator. I put that in the tank for a couple hours, put the fish back in and now they are doing great. It seems to have put the oxygen back in the water that they where lacking. I left it like that for 24 hours then pulled it out and things are good to go still.

I didn't read this anywhere I just guessed that it might work and it did. At least I was able to save a few of the fish.

Fish Surgeon said:
Larman said:
There was a ton of algee which I tried to treat.

Enough said.

Next time you should be a LOT more forthcoming with information that would enable us to help you.

Based on the info I did give how come I would think that someone could give me some basic info on what to do? I know there are many factors but I don't think sarcasim would save my fish when I was in need. I appologize for not giving all the info up front but I was in panic mode and needed suggestions. I'm just glad I was able to figure it out on my own before I lost all my fish.

yes, there are seperate tests for nitrates and nitrites. aquarium pharmaceuticals makes good ones. I'm glad at least one of your fish survived! Make sure to have some fresh carbon in the filter to help remove any excess copper.

This happened to me.
Do you happen to know if your local water authority uses Chloramines. Toronto does in the summer and the effect you described sounds like my experience from last summer when I did a 50 % water change on my 20 gallon. Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:
This happened to me.
Do you happen to know if your local water authority uses Chloramines. Toronto does in the summer and the effect you described sounds like my experience from last summer when I did a 50 % water change on my 20 gallon. Jeff

Interesting, I'll have to call and ask that! Thanks.

It's definitely worth checking out.
If they do use Chloramines, the safest thing is just to let your new water sit for 24 hours or more before doing a part water change. Jeff

chloramine won't "air out", only chlorine. but most (if not all) water conditioners take out both.

Back
Top Bottom