Floating Butts and Shiny scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good Morning,

I have a weather (dojo) loach who seems to have an upset stomach for over 6 months now. When he uses the bathroom he poops out these pebble looking things covered in a white mucus, and when hes not swimming his butt floats. I have been trying to help him out with meds, i was thinking a salt bath but i heard that's dangerous with loaches, but i don't know whats going on with him. Hes always happy and playing with his loach friends but I'm worried it might be something that could be serious since when he poops his whole body shakes and it looks very labor intensive, like a little loach seizure

Second i have a Rummy nose in the same tank who has had white/shiny scales for a while as well, he looks puffy and the color on his back half is dull, but he schools fine, never acts sick (i.e. floating, hiding, odd behavior) i just have no idea whats wrong with him, i have done large water changes, and i cant quarantine him because, 1/2 inch fish in 110g planted tank, i have done it once before and never again.

The small loach school of 3 are all fine other then the 1 and my school of 20 rummys are fine except for him, any suggestions?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 51
Checked water chemistry?

I put that rummy nose down or in hospital tank asap.

Plus one..
Fish eating dead fish is the most certain and common method of disease transmittal. If you don't get him out ASAP when he dies it will likely spread. It may anyways.
The Rummy looks to have a bacterial issue .
The loach sounds like internal parasite..
The tank is exposed to both so it is only their strength,health and immune system that keeps the others from becoming infected.

Plus one..

Fish eating dead fish is the most certain and common method of disease transmittal. If you don't get him out ASAP when he dies it will likely spread. It may anyways.

The Rummy looks to have a bacterial issue .

The loach sounds like internal parasite..

The tank is exposed to both so it is only the strength,health and immune system that keeps the others from becoming infected.

The loach will be easy to get, should I just put him into a QT and give him meds for parasites for a week or so?

And how do you suggest I get 1 rummy in a 110 gallon planted tank..

I have a 180g...Many fish only leave my tank one way.:eek:
I would check on him multiple times daily..When he is missing you need to find him ASAP..
For the loach I believe praziquantel is used .It is only dosed 1 or 2 times to complete most treatments so it is easy.. Prazi pro is in many LFS.

Just get him as soon as you can - I have the same issue and try on either water changes or at feeding time. Use two large nets.

Longer they stay in there, worse they will get and greater chance of infecting others unfortunately.

Unless something has changed in tank, then something or multiple somethings‘ has triggered this. Somewhere in your tank is the answer or perhaps just a weak fish that was picked on a bit.

Back
Top Bottom