Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my crowntail betta (those long weird fins) has what I can only describe as beige fuzz on about 1/4 inch of one of his long fins. If it's fungus (I will try and get a picture) what can be done?

First off, water quality is a big one for preventing disease/issues of any kind and will be necessary for helping your betta heal. What are your parameters?

If it is fungus, I believe you'll need a treatment, but be sure that's what it is before treating as treatment will likely kill your biofilter. If you have a QT tank, that would be good. I believe Melafix is good in this case but I'm not certain.

Melafix should not be used with a betta. It affects their labyrinth organ. Use clean water and maracyn. Quite often changing water regularily can cure fin rot. As asked, what are your water paramters and what is your water change schedule?

Sorry guys, was away for the weekend. I should know better about mentioning the parameters, that being said they are all good. Little bit of nitrate but nothing that should be of any concern. Only thing I don't regularly keep an eye on is kH.

PWC's are done every 2 weeks on all three tanks. I will provide a pic hopefully this evening.

Nitrate is safe up to 40ppm (some argue higher)... it's ammonia and nitrite that need to be 0ppm.

We don't generally like 'good' and 'little bit' as units of measure... and especially with a sick fish your parameters need to be perfect.

Let me clarify, I am a newbie in may respects, but water parameters are not one of them.

All parameters are flawless (ie 0) with nitrates sitting somewhere between 5-10ppm.

pH just shy of 7

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you guys, I went to take a pic that same night and the "fuzz" was completely gone with no visible injury to any fins. I have no explanation. =(

Sorry to waste your time guys.

Thanks Zagz.

By the way, is that an African Grey in your avatar pic? I'm not personally a bird guy but my coworker has one and it is quite an impressive bird.

Back
Top Bottom