Fungus or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please help if you can.

36 Gallon, set up in October

Cycled
Planted

Parameters:
image-7267473.jpg

2 BNP
5 Cory
5 Rummynose
7 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Pygmy Cory

Last week I added an adult Albino Cory. Almost immediately I saw her rub her "cheek" in the sand a couple of times and I thought, Ich! I raised the temperature to 85 and watched them all closely for spots or other signs.

I found a dead Pygmy this morning and the body was covered with spikes of something.

image-3392868900.jpg

I showed the photos at Petsmart and they gave me this:

image-3184980972.jpg

I am right now in the process of setting up a new 46, and all of my plants are being "stored" in the diseased tank.

I'm stalled…

Any advice is welcome.

Its hard to tell from the pic. To me it looks like the fish was pecked on by other fish after death maybe. Is that the flesh sticking out? Depending on how long it was dead before you found it, it could get fuzzy looking as it lays in the water. I'm guessing there was no QT period before being added to the main tank. I'd be reluctant to use meds without know for certain what to treat for. Hopefully someone else will have better advice, sorry.

You know, the drastic temperature change could have taken that Cory by surprise so much that it died...and as stated, after floating dead in the tank for a while it will accumulate a white fungus-looking film like that on its body, just dispose of it. Also, it may have had ich and it got to him..just so physical signs of it. ALWAYS QT any new fish before putting it into the tank. Golden rule!

Back
Top Bottom