Gassy Goldie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please help!
Goldie has a bloated tummy.
His tummy is soft to the touch and there is no pineconing.
Goldie is fed NLS sinking pellets for breakfast, a defrosted fish dinner such as krill or blood worms for dinner and a veggie for supper.

I'm really worried [emoji32]
IMG_4227.JPG

Is it still pooping?
Mine were like that, well one was. I tried everyting, peas, epsom salts, metronidazole, praziquentel, flake levimsole, nothing ever worked.

I would suggest to you to stop feeding entirely for a couple days, and when you do resume feeding, only 2 small meals a day of nothing but veggie (spirulina, peas, algae flakes or wafers for plecos)
And remember to always soak goldfish pellets in a small jar for 5 minutes and then dump them into the tank, goldfish have weak stomachs and tend to gorge themselves.

Is it still pooping?
Mine were like that, well one was. I tried everyting, peas, epsom salts, metronidazole, praziquentel, flake levimsole, nothing ever worked.

I would suggest to you to stop feeding entirely for a couple days, and when you do resume feeding, only 2 small meals a day of nothing but veggie (spirulina, peas, algae flakes or wafers for plecos)
And remember to always soak goldfish pellets in a small jar for 5 minutes and then dump them into the tank, goldfish have weak stomachs and tend to gorge themselves.

Thank you! I've been having trouble getting help via this forum, so really appreciate you responding.

Did the fasting work for you?

Goldie is very chipper and isn't acting sick. I had a mild panic the first night and thought about taking him to the vet in North Melbourne that treats fish, but he is so happy that I don't think he needs it.

Can you confirm whether the fasting helped your fish.

Thank
You [emoji1303][emoji5]

If you continue to feed a bloated fish, you can kill it. Fasting helped my fish, not me personally. LOL
I dont know, heck they are just prone to stuff like this because the way they are bred makes their stomaches all knotted up, not like a common carp or koi.

Fast, and feed nothing but veggies until it starts pooping again and keep up the water quality. Meds wont work a darn bit for you, never did for mine.
2 out of the 3 of mine recovered, the other one may be okay i dont know i rehomed them. I love fancy goldfish but the ones i got from petsmart were low quality and high maintaince. If i get them again, its gonna be in a big big tank and im gonna start out with some big pretty fancies.

Thanks - I'll try fasting.
Just a note - none of my fish are from the stores you mentioned. I'm in Australia and we don't have those stores. About a third of my fish are rescues from people who didn't look after them, including Goldie.

Carp can go 4 months in the winter without eating anything , so fast for a few days if you want too. Wont hurt them at all.

Back
Top Bottom