Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nukesnooper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Scouty is our family's best bud. He's been with us for a little over a year with no problems. He graduated from Betta prison to a 2 gallon tank. He's absolutely the most beautiful Betta I've ever seen. He's a half moon male - age unknown - but has been healthy until the past month.

I have to travel a good bit with my job, and have to put out the extended feeder pellets when I'm gone for a week or so. That's happened a good bit over the past couple of months. I hate them because they cause a lot of algae in his house.

He now lives - and has for about 9 months - in a 5 gallon temperature controlled aquarium. Well filtered with a charcoal filter. I change his water 100% about once a month. I add the "beneficial bacteria" as specified. I drive 100 miles round trip for R/O water to clean his home and re-fill it. I let it stabilize for 24 hours before re-introducing him into it. This has been the routine for 9 months. He's ALWAYS been healthy, happy, and fed a variety of foods from flakes, to pellets, to shrimp, to blood worms. A very happy, healthy, big beautiful boy. Until about a month ago...

I noticed his tummy bulging and attributed it to the prolonged pellets. I performed 50% +/- water changes when I got home to remove as much of the junk as possible. His tummy just keeps getting more distended. Tonight I noticed that one side is more pronounced than the other. So; I'm doubting the constipation theory. He's relatively lively and darts around - almost as usual, but not quite as much. His appetite is like a horse. He's usually fed very small amounts twice a day, but I've been fasting him to once a day for the past 2 weeks. No change. In fact; his tummy is getting a little larger and more lopsided.

Being a pathologist, but knowing nothing about aquatic pathology- could this possibly be a mass? Do fish get tumors? I'm terribly worried. I've had many Bettas over my 57 years, but Scouty is my children's angel. They are distraught, as am I. His color is magnificent. He shows no signs of pine coning.

Any takers as to what the issues is - and absolutely any suggestions?

Thanks from a grateful newbie.Scouty.jpg

Fish, and bettas, can get tumors. They can be completely benign or cancer. If you can find it, you can give him some frozen daphnia after a fast day, that would definitely clear up any and all constipation or or blockages. And bettas tend to like it anyhow.

No better, no worse

I placed Scouty in a smaller hospital tank today and stayed home from work with him. He seemed to be in extremis this morning and I wasn't going to leave him.

I bought some KanaPlex on the outside chance it could be something bacterial. After putting him in the hospital tank, he swam inside an ornamental rock and remained for several hours. I figured it was getting close to the end. But; several hours after the application of the KanaPlex; he swam out and about several times.

He's definitely a sick boy. As you can see in this week old photo, his tummy is quite bloated. Only, much worse the past several days. That and the fact that the opposite side spans twice as far back leads be to believe that its some type of tumor. Also a recent photo of his regular home.

Attachments

• Scouty Tummy.jpg
    Scouty Tummy.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Scouty Home.jpg
    Scouty Home.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 58
Definitely see about the frozen daphnia. That's where their intestines are. Have you seen him poop? If you can't get daphnia, you could do an epsom salt dip/bath. Put one tablespoon of (nonscented) epsom salt in a gallon of water. Make sure the temperature is the same as the tank. Put him in there for 10-15 minutes, then over a few minutes acclimate him back into the tank.

You could try taking a scraping if you have a microscope. Jenny just did one on her channel.

https://youtu.be/FcK1NU2cL10?t=7m24s

This will tell you if he has any external parasites. I'm not sure if it'll show anything for cells within the mass, though. And it might just stress him out more.

Still hanging in there

Thanks again. I'll check with the pet store in Abilene as soon as they open this morning - or is there a more likely source for the frozen daphnia? Abilene is the closest "major" town, and is 50 miles away. Only one pet store aside from the big box two. With respect to the Epsom salt; I'm assuming that's something I can pick up at the local drug store? I haven't seen him have a bowel movement, but never have. I don't know how long he could remain constipated and survive, but this has been ongoing for close to a month. I'd also doubt his voracious appetite if he was that badly constipated, but this is my first experience with these symptoms.

He's slightly mobile this morning, but it's still early in Texas. At least he's still hanging in there. I think I'll pass on the scrapings for now. I think the stress level would outweigh the benefit. His color and coat are still very much vibrant, and display no sign of change. If I were looking for mast cells; I doubt they'd be present externally. Given the level of care he's had over the past year; I'd be stunned if it were something parasitic.

Will post later in the day with an update. Thank you again for the great advice and concern.

Thanks again. I'll check with the pet store in Abilene as soon as they open this morning - or is there a more likely source for the frozen daphnia? Abilene is the closest "major" town, and is 50 miles away. Only one pet store aside from the big box two. With respect to the Epsom salt; I'm assuming that's something I can pick up at the local drug store? I haven't seen him have a bowel movement, but never have. I don't know how long he could remain constipated and survive, but this has been ongoing for close to a month. I'd also doubt his voracious appetite if he was that badly constipated, but this is my first experience with these symptoms.

He's slightly mobile this morning, but it's still early in Texas. At least he's still hanging in there. I think I'll pass on the scrapings for now. I think the stress level would outweigh the benefit. His color and coat are still very much vibrant, and display no sign of change. If I were looking for mast cells; I doubt they'd be present externally. Given the level of care he's had over the past year; I'd be stunned if it were something parasitic.

Will post later in the day with an update. Thank you again for the great advice and concern.

Any drug or grocery store with a drug aisle will have epsom salts. I *think* the big stores have frozen daphnia, just call and ask. They may have a mix of carnivore food, which has a few blocks of daphnia alongside a few blocks of other things.

Good deal. Thanks for the quick response. Am about to call the pet store and/or the big boxes. Hoping that they know what I'm talking about. Most of the employees around here are like talking to Boo Radley. Since it's such a long trip; I may try the Epsom salt treatment prior to driving over there.

Small update

Came home at lunch and am doing the Epsom salt treatment before I head to Abilene. Sadly; it seems like he's winding down. I couldn't arouse him, or coax him out of his rock. I removed it, and he swam a small distance, and just laid there. I placed him in the Epsom salt bath, and he's swimming around, but weakly.

I noticed yesterday - and more so since I placed him in the bath that he keeps swimming to the surface for air. I'm afraid that's a bad indicator of something internal.

I'm going to give it a couple more hours. I should be back from Abilene by then. And, yes; they do have the frozen daphnia.

Thanks again for your suggestions, encouragement, and support.

So; it's come to this...

I got back from Abilene and his condition appears to be deteriorating rapidly. He now refuses food of any type. He only responds to prodding with a net handle. And, only brief, spastic; and irregular motion.

I wish I could hold out hope, but have begun preparation for the cold water euthanasia. As much as I love and adore him; I can't bear to watch him deescalate in what appears to be a very confusing - and likely painful manner. I'm going to give it another couple of hours while the water is preparing. Still hope; right?

Thank you for your advice and concern for my Big, Bad, Betta Boy. He truly is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Most personality, too. The photos hardly do his magnificent colors justice. Will keep you posted - hopefully with miraculous results.

Sometimes, the dragon wins

I couldn't let the ghastly spectacle continue. At 6:45 CDT; I placed my little buddy in the ice water. He was motionless within a second. He'd been listing on the floor of his tank on his side - appearing to gasp nonstop. Tough stuff, but not the first time.

Now; I have to let the kids know. That's where the real heartache begins.

We'll find another beautiful (or not) guy or gal to rescue from Betta prison when the time is right.

Thank you again - all that read, but didn't have words; just care, as well as mimiheart for the great advice and care.

I did nothing to deserve such a beautiful creature. Now that's time to give him back; I have no right to complain.

Grateful,

Jim

Back
Top Bottom