GBR Behavior - Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rams are a sensitive fish and not for the inexperianced or casual fish keeper.

Not true at all. The thing with rams is that more often than not the quality available to start with is poor because most people shop at chain stores for their fish. They buy them by the hundreds/thousands from fish farms in Asia that use color enhancing hormones (as well as growth hormones) to make the rams ready sooner for sale. This takes a toll on them and they often die within a couple of months as a result of the hormones. Quality rams can live very happily with a beginner if proper care is given.

You believe what you want to about Rams........I have bred many German and Bolivian....I got many pairs from reputable breeders.......Even the wild caught are sensitive to poor water quality.......As you say, most on the market are inferior and require even more care........Your last sentence would be true if beginners did in fact provide the necessary care, but that usually isn't the case.

Sorry, I mean no offense here.

You believe what you want to about Rams........I have bred many German and Bolivian....I got many pairs from reputable breeders.......Even the wild caught are sensitive to poor water quality.......As you say, most on the market are inferior and require even more care........Your last sentence would be true if beginners did in fact provide the necessary care, but that usually isn't the case.

Sorry, I mean no offense here.

I don't "believe", I KNOW. I breed rams as well. I've seen many people post about problems with their rams and 95% of the time these rams are of the inferior, hormone-subjected variety, which are short-lived from the start and are prone to getting sick in environments where otherwise healthy rams would flourish.

What ever you say...........I did not mean to generate an argument on the quality of fish available for sale....My concern was that beginners and casual fish keepers would need to gain experience and knowledge before trying to keep certain types of fish.

Now, now...

I pose this question to you now! (found in a thread just started by me)

"In your experience Would you suggest getting a younger GBR male from a LFS for $8.99 or getting an older and much bigger one for $18.99? (anyone feel free to chime in)

Reply here or there, please!

I would say a younger one because that way it can 'grow up' with the other fish that you add to the tank. I'm sure bs6749 or Dano01 could answer that a little better since they breed GBRs, or have bred GBRs.

I must agree with bs6749 on the GBR topic. I bought two, which bs knows about, and they were doomed from the start. Most likely filled with hormones and such. My tank was setup for a year or so, very established, perfect water conditions and they ended up dying within a few weeks. They ate the first few days then stopped eating. Couldn't entice them with live foods or anything. Its sad that these fish are being pumped with hormones. IMO they are the most beautiful FW fish you can find.

I would have to agree that a younger fish would be a better choice.....You would not know the age of the larger fish and the expectation of it's life span.

The condition of fish on the market is beyond the buyers control....You have to take the best you can find and make the effort to provide the best possible environment you can........In any case, Rams and certain other fish need more attention to their environmental situation than the average aquarium fare.

$19 for an older one??? Man, I can't wait until mine grow out then. Being half wilds and much better quality than nearly all I've seen out there I should charge $40 each for mine then!

Back
Top Bottom