GBR with fuzzy patches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have posted a lot lately about my GBR saga, but basically I have a female who I've had for a year and and male that I got about 3 weeks ago. When I first got the male I noticed both rams flashing a little so I did a half dose of Ich medicine and a small salt treatment...trying to nip whatever it was in the bud.

Over the last few weeks I've still seen the female flash a few times but I just upped my water changes because I didn't know what else to do.

Now she has a fuzzy light brownish spot in front of her gill on her left side and another spot in front of her tail on the right. She is hiding more than usual and breathing heavily. What do I do??? I don't have a quarantine tank and all the other fish are acting normal.

Ammonia &nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate: around 15-20 ppm
pH: 6.8
Temp: 79°
25 gallon, medium planted

Stock: 6 neons, 6 harleys, 5 kuhlis, 1 clown pleco and 2 GBRs. Also a bunch of snails.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm trying to get a pic but she turns and swims away whenever I put my camera near the tank for some reason :/

I went to my lfs yesterday and they said to try melafix if it doesn't look like columnaris (which it doesn't) so I just started dosing that. I have live plants and scaleless fish so I try to be careful about what meds I use

Hmmmm. Without a pic its hard to say. Melafix for fungus? whatever. I am one of those people that dont believe melafix/primafix work. Could you get the fish in a glass bowl or jar and take a short video?

Hmmmm. Without a pic its hard to say. Melafix for fungus? whatever. I am one of those people that dont believe melafix/primafix work. Could you get the fish in a glass bowl or jar and take a short video?

Oh well I hope it works! But yeah they told me to use melafix but then when I looked online it said primafix was best for fungal infections...so idk why the people at lfs told me to use melafix.

Regardless, it seems to be helping, odd as that may be. The fuzzy patches look smaller and more like wounds now (which melafix is supposedly good for) and the fish is a little more outgoing. I'm only on day 4 of the 7 day treatment so keeping my fingers crossed. No other fish have patches yet.

The light is off for tonight but I'll try to get her in a bowl tomorrow and take a video. But do you think that will stress her more and make her more susceptible to the fungus?

Ok, here's a pic. It's not very close up but you can see the wound/fungus patch on her side. I am pretty confused by this because she's the aggressive GBR so she's not being bullied and my water Params are great. Any thoughts?

A leaf is covering most of the sore in the 2nd pic but you can see the whitish outline of it

Attachments

• 1429146252486.jpg
    1429146252486.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1429146270863.jpg
    1429146270863.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom