Glofish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are the shorter but longer aquariums. I'm pretty sure temp was the source of my problem. I do 5-10 percent weekly pwcs and one 25 percent every month. I can't get a bigger tank because I live in an apartment and my landlord (he's a bit crazy) said I can have no bigger than a 10 gallon. I didn't do a pwc because I didn't have any water prepared and I didn't want the chemicals from my tap water to hurt them. I usually do my weekly pwc every Tuesday. So the water is sitting now and I will put it in after work tomorrow.

absolutangel04 said:
So, I don't know if this is the issue or not, but I am just sharing my experience. Glofish are modified zebra danios and usually a 20g long is the accepted minimum tank size for them because of their activity level. IME, many GloFish do not last long in smaller tanks like 10g. I have a couple friends who tried it and the GloFish never really lived very long despite good water quality. I know thats not the case for everybody and some people have kept them alive in even smaller tanks for longer amounts of time, but IMO its likely they will do better in the long run in a larger tank. I don't know if that is the issue here or not though. JME.
Do you have a test kit to measure the water parameters? That could help you identify the problem. :)

The tank is longer but shorter so they have more length to swim. I have a master API test kit and my water parameters are good. Am 0 Ni 0 Na 10. They have all done good up to now. I have had them for 2ish months

Readysetcali said:
They are the shorter but longer aquariums. I'm pretty sure temp was the source of my problem. I do 5-10 percent weekly pwcs and one 25 percent every month. I can't get a bigger tank because I live in an apartment and my landlord (he's a bit crazy) said I can have no bigger than a 10 gallon. I didn't do a pwc because I didn't have any water prepared and I didn't want the chemicals from my tap water to hurt them. I usually do my weekly pwc every Tuesday. So the water is sitting now and I will put it in after work tomorrow.

In that case I would stick to only five then, that gives you one of each color. You may also want to increase the volume of your weekly PWC to at least 25% and bump your monthly up to 50%. Personally, I would do 50% a week.

OK. So, are you going to try adjusting the temperature and seeing if that makes a difference? I know people who keep these guys at 78 degrees without an issue, so I doubt that 79 degrees would cause a problem with them. Let us know how it goes though. :)

blert said:
In that case I would stick to only five then, that gives you one of each color. You may also want to increase the volume of your weekly PWC to at least 25% and bump your monthly up to 50%. Personally, I would do 50% a week.

A 25% and 50% would make the temp fluctuate? I only have 5 now since one died. And when i first started my tank, doing a bigger water change stressed my fish out and when I switched to a smaller one they seemed fine. And I don't want to stress them out more than they already are because my heater broke.

absolutangel04 said:
OK. So, are you going to try adjusting the temperature and seeing if that makes a difference? I know people who keep these guys at 78 degrees without an issue, so I doubt that 79 degrees would cause a problem with them. Let us know how it goes though. :)

My temp wasn't at 79 degrees, (Thats what I set my heater to so that's what I thought it would be but apparently my heater quit working) it was super cold. But yes I put in a new heater and I will keep you posted :)

Sorry, I didn't see that part of your post. :facepalm:
That will cause fish to have issues, so I bet they will perk up once you get the new heater in. I had a heater malfunction recently that took out my whole 10g tank except for 3 fish, so I am glad you caught it when you did. :)

Readysetcali said:
A 25% and 50% would make the temp fluctuate? I only have 5 now since one died. And when i first started my tank, doing a bigger water change stressed my fish out and when I switched to a smaller one they seemed fine. And I don't want to stress them out more than they already are because my heater broke.

Temp match the water before you put it in the tank. I bubble my water for 24hrs also, if I need to warm it up I put some in the microwave and nuke it for a few minutes then mix it into the cold stuff. Repeat until you hit your desired temp, it only takes a few more minutes.

Yikes glad you got that figured out! Make sure the heater is at an angle so the thermostat can read properly. I think 10g long is fine as long as you don't crowd it with decor

I think it was the temp. All but one is swimming around and being active today. Hopefully the other comes around soon.

Okay I switched their tanks and everything and now they stay around the top. Three of them seeming kind of lethargic. Not moving around much. They won't eat. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do any more. One of them is fine zipping around the tank and exploring. And he gets the yellow one to play with him sometimes. Should I quarantine the three that won't eat or move?

Readysetcali said:
Okay I switched their tanks and everything and now they stay around the top. Three of them seeming kind of lethargic. Not moving around much. They won't eat. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do any more. One of them is fine zipping around the tank and exploring. And he gets the yellow one to play with him sometimes. Should I quarantine the three that won't eat or move?

These are the ones you moved to the new tank away from the refugees, no? IMO, I see no need to quarantine them. Keep an eye on the water parameters and do PWCs as needed (keep ammonia and nitrites under 0.25ppm). Moving them again will just increase the stress. Turn the lights out, give them an hour or two and do a PWC. They have plants and rocks or ornaments where they can hide and chill right? Add a little StressCoat or Prime or whatever water conditioner you have just to calm and protect them a bit (not a full dose just a half or quarter dose).

blert said:
These are the ones you moved to the new tank away from the refugees, no? IMO, I see no need to quarantine them. Keep an eye on the water parameters and do PWCs as needed (keep ammonia and nitrites under 0.25ppm). Moving them again will just increase the stress. Turn the lights out, give them an hour or two and do a PWC. They have plants and rocks or ornaments where they can hide and chill right? Add a little StressCoat or Prime or whatever water conditioner you have just to calm and protect them a bit (not a full dose just a half or quarter dose).

Yes they have plenty of places to hide big they stay at the top. I already added stress coat

Of the three sluggish ones, the purple one died. ): I went ahead and put the other two sluggish ones in my hospital tank and started them on quick cure ( out of desperation) I don't have a clue what's wrong with them. But now they are swimming around okay, still aren't eating thou :/

What is quick cure? Its not usually a good idea to treat a fish if you don't know what the problem is.
Have you tried Garlic Guard? Garlic is a natural appetite enhancer. Do they look skinny at all? Do you still think its related to the temperature?

absolutangel04 said:
What is quick cure? Its not usually a good idea to treat a fish if you don't know what the problem is.
Have you tried Garlic Guard? Garlic is a natural appetite enhancer. Do they look skinny at all? Do you still think its related to the temperature?

They are swimming a bit more since the quick cure (it's a medicine that treats ich and helps with fin rot and other things) they do seem skinny but it's not excessive. And no I don't think it's temp related because I've had it fixed for a couple of days. I fixed it as soon as I noticed the problem. They still aren't eating but they are swimming around a bit more. I have no idea what's wrong.

What type of food did you try? I have minnows and I just tried frozen mysis shrimp and when they smelled it they went NUTS. Worth a tet

corinne118s said:
What type of food did you try? I have minnows and I just tried frozen mysis shrimp and when they smelled it they went NUTS. Worth a tet

I've tried brine shrimp and flakes (I'm goin on broke until payday) I have a couple of different kinds of flakes and I tried them. Nothing works.

I would try the Garlic Guard like I suggested to help stimulate their appetite. You can mix the food with garlic yourself too. Just google it and find an amount. :)
Have you seen them poop recently? If they are refusing to eat, theres a chance of some sort of internal parasite which can be pretty hard to figure out.

absolutangel04 said:
I would try the Garlic Guard like I suggested to help stimulate their appetite. You can mix the food with garlic yourself too. Just google it and find an amount. :)
Have you seen them poop recently? If they are refusing to eat, theres a chance of some sort of internal parasite which can be pretty hard to figure out.

I will try it. Thanks :) and no I haven't. I only watch them for a couple of hours when I get home. I don't really have a chance to during the day.

Back
Top Bottom