Goldfish has dropsy - should i euthanize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brett97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I adopted two goldfish from my grandparents last week and I soon realized one of them has dropsy. I've been trying to treat it for the past six days, but I have no idea how long she's had it. I've tried metrodinozol, all cure pills, infection remedie, and epsom salts. Her swelling has gone down a bit and she is slightly more active (probably due to the heightened water temperature). This is a picture before the treatment:

1489856693367.jpg

Her gills have gone red in colour and im not sure if that's a good or bad thing:

1489857003971.jpg

If the treamtment is working should I continue? Any feed back is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 1489856693367.jpg
    1489856693367.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 108
Hi everyone, I adopted two goldfish from my grandparents last week and I soon realized one of them has dropsy. I've been trying to treat it for the past six days, but I have no idea how long she's had it. I've tried metrodinozol, all cure pills, infection remedie, and epsom salts. Her swelling has gone down a bit and she is slightly more active (probably due to the heightened water temperature). This is a picture before the treatment:

And this is a picture I took today.

View attachment 296415

Her gills have gone red in colour and im not sure if that's a good or bad thing:

View attachment 296416

If the treamtment is working should I continue? Any feed back is much appreciated!
Sorry the picture order got messed up and i can't fix it. The very bottom picture is before i started the treatment.

What are your water parameters? Red gills speak to ammonia or chlorine burns.

It's hard to cure dropsy. It's a symptom that shows that internal damage has become so severe that it's obvious externally.

Aww poor little thing, I would think in this scenario euthanasia might be best.. especially as mentioned by @nirbhao dropsy is very difficult to cure.

In some cases it's better to put them out their misery :(

I have been caring for freshwater fish for 11 years and this is byfar one of the worst cases of dropsy i have ever seen. Its eyes are completely filled with fluid and its body is so hevily bloated. You need to euthanize it or take it to a professional to do it asap. Sorry to be blunt but this fish is probably living in a lot of pain. IMO once the fish starts breathing heavily (1-2 weeks with dropsy), it's too late to cure and should be euthanized to avoid further suffering.

As for the red burns, nirbhao is right. Thise are due to spikes in ammonia and or chlorine.

Fresh clean water is essential, treated with dechlorinator of course.

You can try. I have had some luck with lots of pwc and clean water.

If you need this info below... Clove oil is very good and my recommendation if needed. You can usually get it from the pharmacy. My safeway store had to order it but it was there the next day.

Pure clove oil not artificial, that is cheaper but not right, also can be found in some health food stores and in the cake decorators supply areas of stores.

Even if the fish recovers, you may be able to keep her well, but also there may be severe internal organ damage and will continue to be ill again and again.

I am trying to be gentle here, but be prepared, she may pass away very soon.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

Back
Top Bottom