Goldfish losing scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 year old white goldfish and it's losing its scales quite fast lately. It does not appear that it looks sick since it's swimming quite fast and it does not look like there's any rash or red spots on the fish where the scales have fallen out. It also does not look like there's any scales sticking out, but it just falls out randomly.

Tank: 40 gallon
Goldfish: 6 inch
Temperature: 71 fahrenheit with no heater @ room temperature. (It's going to be summer time)
Daily water change: Once every 2 weeks

Definitely, not normal. Sounds like an injury of some kind. Do you have any sharp objects in your aquarium? Is your fish rubbing against rocks or other objects?

Do you happen to have a plecco in your tank? Sometimes, they'll latch on to goldfish.

Definitely, not normal. Sounds like an injury of some kind. Do you have any sharp objects in your aquarium? Is your fish rubbing against rocks or other objects?

Do you happen to have a plecco in your tank? Sometimes, they'll latch on to goldfish.

Yes, I do have a Plecco, but I have never seen him/her latch onto my goldfish. But speaking of sharp object, I do have a castle decoration in the middle for my plecco to hide in. I recently notice that one of my other goldfish love to chase the one that is losing its scale like they're mating or something? Even though I thought both of them were male? Maybe it's pushing it into the rock?

My tank only has 2 goldfish and a plecco.

My best guess would be that your fish is getting injured. Maybe your goldfish are just trying to establish a pecking order. I would take out the objects and see if your fish is still losing scales.

Secondly, pleccos will latch on to goldfish. They are nocturnal so maybe your plecco is latching onto your goldie at night when you are sleeping. If you've removed the object that might be causing the injury and your fish is still losing scales consider moving your plecco to see if he/she is the culprit.

Best of luck!

I have to agree there may be an issue with the pleco. They are notorious for snacking on goldfish when they sleep at night. Once they start this behavior, it can result in serious infections and stress for the goldfish. A picture of your fish will also be helpful.

Can you please post your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Are you testing with liquid or strips? My other concern is one of an issue with water quality. With only a minimal water change twice a month with two goldfish and a pleco in a smaller tank, there is possibly an additional reason for scale loss. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom