Goldfish scales have been ripped out by chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milene

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, so these past few days have been really stressful. A year ago, I bought a goldfish and was advised by the people at my lfs to buy a "sucking loach" which would get rid of any algae problems I could get. At this time I was very new to fish keeping and had no idea that what I had was a chinese algae eater! A year on and I hadn't had a problem until 2 days ago, I started noticing the CAE chasing the goldfish and actually sucking on her sides! I immediately removed him and put him in a holding tank (only 5 litres but seeing as though he was only about 3/4 inches and this was only temporary until I could find him a permanent home (was actually going to rehome), I thought it wouldn't be a problem).

I added King British Disease Clear to Goldie's tank ( goldfish) because I noticed some of her scales had been ripped off and wanted to prevent infection.
Yesterday, where her scales were missing she was all white, including a bit on her head, it looked horrible! However, the real horror was this morning, she's still white and her skin is peeling kind of like when you get a sun burn. The Disease Clear says to only put more medicine every 3/4 days until tissue is no longer at risk if infection.

How can I save Goldie? Can/should I add melafix with the Disease Clear? Should I really wait until tomorrow to add more of it?can/ should I do water changes? She doesn't seem weak but I haven't seen her eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why people still advise putting algea eaters/plecos, etc in with goldfish is beyond me. The slime coating goldfish produce is yummy-yummy good stuff to those suckers.

continue treatment according to the directions, maintain good water quality, and watch.......unfortunately there isn't much else to do

I now know that you shouldn't do that, however I was not aware of that fact before. Why do lfs give you the wrong advise??

I now know that you shouldn't do that, however I was not aware of that fact before. Why do lfs give you the wrong advise??

I wasn't saying anything against you, you simply followed the advice of someone supposedly in a position of knowledge.

the reason lfs will sell you incompatible critters is simple, $$$$$$$

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it
I really hope Goldie gets better ?

Hi there, I find lost scales grow back in time, and I don't have issues with infection if I maintain a high water quality.

I think you can get water conditioners that are good for slime coats - eg the API brand.

I hope your little guy recovers soon.

Hi there, I find lost scales grow back in time, and I don't have issues with infection if I maintain a high water quality.

I think you can get water conditioners that are good for slime coats - eg the API brand.

I hope your little guy recovers soon.

Thank you Roz, it's actually a girl (she's laid eggs many times before) :)
The only thing I'm really concerned with is the fact that her skin is peeling really badly. I've started her on Melafix because many people have recommended it (protects the slime coat as you have mentioned) and also because treatment is given everyday rather than the "every 3 days" with the king british disease clear.

To those who are wondering what happened to Goldie, she is very much alive! Fungus started to grow on her wound, it disappeared then appeared again. She has been fungus free for a week now and is doing all her normal things. It even looks like she's grown!
Her scales haven't grown yet she looks great, for a scaleless fish anyway

Back
Top Bottom